New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I was chatting with a friend earlier who happens to own a car dealership.

He said that CBU Japan cars usually have better quality/finish than Thai or locally made ones. From experience according to my friend, CBU Japan cars are less problematic than Asean-made cars. Of course, Asean made cars are always improving but they are still behind Japanese made ones daw.

I'm curious, is this true? Or is this just a wrong perception? What do you think?
    Last edited by ryan; February 23rd, 2007 at 01:17 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I would agree.. We had a CBU 97 Rav4 and a Locally assembled 98 Rav4... It has better fit & finish IMO... and from the article I read about Toyota, they said that it's quite hard for them to implement their JIT and other strict quality control practices when they set-up shop in other countries BUT they are also doing their best to address those issues...

Problema kasi sa Asean at Locally made tinitipid ang materyales... case in point... when we had our SKD Civic way back 1992, they used Rugby haphazardly at walang masyadong insulation... one reason also my Dad sweared to God he will never buy a Honda again...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    i believe so too. we have a '99 CRV CBU. hanggang ngaun no major problems in and out.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    i believe so too. we had a 89 corolla gli na cbu. ang tibay! ayaw masira. (exag)

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Yes, much better quality pag assembled in Japan. top of the line plant and the strict quality control.Here in the US, lexus lang ang assemble in Japan(I'm talking about toyota plant).

one of the reason why i rather opt to import a JDM surplus and supervise the conversion, than buying a local, especially korean/non-japan converted unit.

even the paint finish makinis parin after 10 years, not much local repainting shops can match it, especially sa mga tapaludo(no need for much undercoatings...)

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Construction wise, hand-assembled cars are generally better. Humans are supposedly smarter than robots, and the latter can't correct their wrongdoings. Engines of many exotic sports cars are hand-made, unlike mainstream motors that are robotized.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    I can't say kung d/t Toyota reliability (kung totoo man ito) o dahil CBU, pero parang bato yung HiAce namin. Ala pang problema kahit almost 100,000 na tinakbo. :lol:

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Generally for me, it's Japan-made CBU pa rin all the way.

Case(s) in point:

-sat on a Nissan Teana 230JK in a Nissan Shaw dealer. Materials were very smooth, center console looks built to last for decades, seats are evenly done (walang twitches or threads sticking out). Hard to spot any flaws at all.
    -test drove (with my dad) a Mazda 6 2.3L (Made in Hiroshima, Japan). Interior was solid, the black car paint stayed clean & clear althroughout, the piano black center console looked awesome and had ZERO tampering & scratches,etc.

and my favorite point....

-sat in the new Toyota Previa for three times atm. The car is made in my favorite Toyota factory (Fujimatsu factory line no.1 & no.2) and I can say that no other overseas Toyota plant can emulate such quality & reliability. The steering wheel feels solid (ie. no cracks, gaps), the layout of the centre console is 100% intact (no defective buttons), interior materials are of highest caliber of quality, pushing the center tray shows no mechanism faults whatsoever, exterior of the car is amazing, all exterior lights/lamps (front & rear) work flawlessly, the power tailgate & sliding doors appear solid all the way (last for decades) and headlamp washers (which are not available in Japan) really work & shows that even overseas export features (not available in local JDM versions) go through the same, rigourous quality & reliability control testing that all other vehicle features go through with.

Of course, I'm not saying that local & ASEAN factories are crappy when in fact these are also good quality factories (like Ford group Philippines factory) pero there is this certain amount of quality that no other overseas factory can ever emulate.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
    Generally for me, it's Japan-made CBU pa rin all the way.

Case(s) in point:

-sat on a Nissan Teana 230JK in a Nissan Shaw dealer. Materials were very smooth, center console looks built to last for decades, seats are evenly done (walang twitches or threads sticking out). Hard to spot any flaws at all.
    -test drove (with my dad) a Mazda 6 2.3L (Made in Hiroshima, Japan). Interior was solid, the black car paint stayed clean & clear althroughout, the piano black center console looked awesome and had ZERO tampering & scratches,etc.

and my favorite point....

-sat in the new Toyota Previa for three times atm. The car is made in my favorite Toyota factory (Fujimatsu factory line no.1 & no.2) and I can say that no other overseas Toyota plant can emulate such quality & reliability. The steering wheel feels solid (ie. no cracks, gaps), the layout of the centre console is 100% intact (no defective buttons), interior materials are of highest caliber of quality, pushing the center tray shows no mechanism faults whatsoever, exterior of the car is amazing, all exterior lights/lamps (front & rear) work flawlessly, the power tailgate & sliding doors appear solid all the way (last for decades) and headlamp washers (which are not available in Japan) really work & shows that even overseas export features (not available in local JDM versions) go through the same, rigourous quality & reliability control testing that all other vehicle features go through with.

Of course, I'm not saying that local & ASEAN factories are crappy when in fact these are also good quality factories (like Ford group Philippines factory) pero there is this certain amount of quality that no other overseas factory can ever emulate.
    Just wondering, how would one know if the unit came from this Japanese particular plant? Was the info. decoded from the v.i.n.? And lastly, how do you research on which plant is the best? What about the '06 Rav4, they are also CBU from Japan but which plant are they from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Are CBU Japan cars really better?