New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Was going thru the Group Buy thread and realized that the scanner being offered is good for Thailand-assembled vehicles. So after some surfing, I found this: Best OBD2 Scanner – Reviews and Rankings | Bestcovery.

Here's what it says in the site:
    Every new car today comes with ODB2 – a federally mandated on board diagnostics computer which is used for service related matters. OBD2-equipped cars have a distinctive port hidden somewhere in the passenger compartment, into which a diagnostic device is connected. When your car is running rough or the check engine light is illuminated, a ‘scan tool’ is often the first tool deployed to isolate the issue. While many auto parts stores will perform a scan for you either for free or for a nominal fee, nothing beats the convenience of having your own scan tool. Here are the best ODBII scanners to keep handy in case things ever go wrong.
    If you're wondering where your particular vehicle's connector is, click here: CarMD.com. The section on 'Find My Car's Connector' is quite helpful.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    Was going thru the Group Buy thread and realized that the scanner being offered is good for Thailand-assembled vehicles. So after some surfing, I found this: Best OBD2 Scanner – Reviews and Rankings | Bestcovery.
    I forgot to ask: who among you already have any of these gadgets and how helpful are they? Can they really help with saving money as far as car repairs go? Are they reliable in your being able to discern if the repair shop or casa is misdiagnosing car problems or worse, charging you unnecessarily? Thanks.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've had my ScanGaugeII since 2008.

I haven't received a CEL yet so I haven't seen it report a DTC. But somewhat equally important to me is the its ability to show me my fuel economy for yesterday, today, current, and in real time. I can then adjust my driving style on-the-fly and see the results immediately. No more guesswork on which style is the most fuel-efficient for a given road condition.

With the SGII showing numerous other parameters like battery voltage, water temp, HP generated, engine load, intake-air absolute pressure & temp and a whole slew of other X-Gauges, I have better insight on the condition of the engine and what it is doing, again, in real time. Some are just geeky stuff most drivers wouldn't care.

So what do you think does that say about me? :D

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFlash View Post
    I forgot to ask: who among you already have any of these gadgets and how helpful are they? Can they really help with saving money as far as car repairs go? Are they reliable in your being able to discern if the repair shop or casa is misdiagnosing car problems or worse, charging you unnecessarily? Thanks.
    Very helpful for the owner to locate loose sensers after some DIYing in the engine.

^ Owner forgot to plug the MAF connector and wondered why a sluggish carr during overtaking..

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Just fyi, "Not Ready" indicates that the problem is not yet fixed, and that all he did was clear the DTCs. The codes will be back unless the problems are resolved. This also means that he may not pass the emissions test. But once the sensors starts to report good values, it would display "Ready".

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Problem already fixed but not all OBD have been completed since the last reset/ battery disconnection.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    i have one of these. saved me twice on DIY repairs due to faulty purge valve circuit with yellow CEL on. all i needed was a new socket for the valve for P100. i also use my scanner to get to know the normal operating conditions of my car with various sensor outputs. I have yet to use it on my new innova but my old vios 1.5g I know the normal readings of sensors

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    okay to sir a.available ba to locally.ang alam ko meron ding software for laptop and cable for usb to cars port.very handy to for diagnostics

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    stupid question but how does one interpret the codes flashed on the scanner's screen?

for the fd and the monty, where do you plug/attach the scanner?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post
    stupid question but how does one interpret the codes flashed on the scanner's screen?

for the fd and the monty, where do you plug/attach the scanner?
    OBD-II is a standard. You can use Google to look up the meaning of the DTC.

On the FD, the DLC is located under the dashboard in the vicinity of the driver's right knee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Car Diagnostics: OBD2 Scanners