New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 50 Caliber View Post
    Sir Boogeyman,

Pardon my ignorance, pero how are things done that way? Toyota requires a service every 5t kms. During this period, dapat na magpalit ng oil sometimes filters and sparkplugs coincide din? Checking lang ang sa casa, at ang replacement ng parts sa labas?

Mitsubishi also requires servicing every 5,000 kms. Typically, that includes replacement of certain fluids (primarily mineral engine oil, but you can stretch it to 10,000kms. with synthetic oil) and consumable parts (oil/fuel/air filters). So yes, since it's no secret na mahal sumingil ang casa for both parts and labor on these jobs, eventually I just had them done elsewhere, tapos punta na lang sa casa for the actual checkup.

Another advantage of doing this is, at least sa Shell, I can actually see what the mechanic is doing, and I can point out other adjustments that he can make while he's at it. Sa Diamond Motors, the service bay is off-limits to customers, so hindi mo alam kung expert mechanic ba or on-the-job trainee lang ang humahawak sa oto mo.

Sometimes, if I can afford to pamper my ride a bit, I have the oil change done at the casa na rin; I go for their synthetic oil (Turbo XP). Otherwise, sa Shell ako usually nagpapalagay ng mineral oil (Helix Diesel).

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Sir Otep and Sir Bogeyman at sa mga nag post, Salamat!

I know its a gamble to have a new car serviced and maintained "sa labas ng kasa", pero is there anyone here in Tsikot who had claimed for warranty on major car defects, i.e. defective engine?

Please correct me if I am wrong, there are different disciplines on the car's warranty. Say you integrated an aftermarket alarm to your car, the warranty thats been void are the electricals only. You added some visual modifications, sa body lang din ang ma void, pero hindi ang engine's warrranty?

Most of the PMS concerns the engine and not the body, nor the electricals. So if in case, engine's warranty lang ang ma void. But as I have said, meron na bang bagong oto na kumatok ang makina after 20k kms? My ride is an altis, meron ba mga problema ang 3zz-fe engines like the D4D engines?

Salamat po sa mga response.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Modifications are one thing. With modifications, the dealer still has to prove that the modifications caused the failure for the item you are claiming for. But without a proper PMS record, you stand to lose ALL warranty support on the vehicle on the grounds that you as the owner failed to execute even BASIC maintenance on the vehicle (this falls under neglect).

The Altis PMS rates aren't really that expensive as long as you don't fall for the dealer's added-service crap. The owner's manual is your friend.

I don't really see the point in trying to defeat the casa PMS. 3 years will fly by in no time.

On my Kia, the front shocks were replaced, a ceiling rattle was investigated, wheel alignment corrected, and the whole right rear cabin trim (that's one big-ass trim) was replaced among other things which I can't recall anymore. All under warranty.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Sir Otep, thanks for the insights.

I am just wondering why do we have to maintain a new and worry less car thru casa. I think its better to have an old car maintained sa dealer kasi sila na experts sa sasakyan nila, at yun na talaga ang dapat i maintain. But new cars, I think regular change oil, change filters will do the job as what the manual says, pero sa labas na lang. But checking sa kasa pa rin as what Sir Bogeyman is telling. Hindi naman po ganun kamahal sa kasa, its just to break their monopoly on service. (Before its 50t kms or 2 years, ngayon 100t kms or 3 years! nice gimmick on new car owners huh!)

Pag sa casa kasi, ang tagal ng trabaho nila. Change oil lang, abutin ka ng 6 na oras, may kasama pa itong pangungulit sa mga SA to have the job done fast! I once brought my car to Toyota (somewhere in QC) pa reprogram ko lang ang alarm, which was done in less than 5 minutes, but I waited for 2 hours to have the job done! Balak pa mag charge for service fees (di kasi sila ang dealer ko).

Sa States daw, kahit sa mga Service shops pa service ang sasakyan mo, ok lang, you dont void the warranty, as long as you follow what the warranty booklet and instruction manual says. And if in case you want to claim for warranty, you can use the receipts issued by these shops.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Because in an ideal world, vehicle maintenace is supposed to be done by the dealer whether the car has zero kms or 100,000 kms on it. And the dealer has the facilities and training to handle newer models.

This is the reason why gray market dealers release vehicles ahead of the approved dealers. Because the people at the service dept and dealership still have to undergo training to handle the product. In some instance, they may need to buy new equipment (e.g. scan tools that cost Php300,000++) before they are allowed to sell the vehicles.

If you want service fast, get an appointment over the phone or be there at 7am (which is what I used to do). You'll be out before 10am if you're just having an light PMS. 'Checking' is something that you don't even need the dealer for. Have you actually seen the checklist they use? It's just like a pre-delivery checklist. Check the horn, check the lights, look for leaks, etc. Something my Grade 4 sister can already do. About the most labor intensive of those checks is checking if the suspension bolts are tight.

In the U.S., you still have to take your vehicle to an approved service facility. Which is still much like the casa service center but they are not engaged in the selling of brand new vehicles. If you take it to Midas or Pepboys, goodbye warranty.

If you want to escape the dealership, just void the warranty. Or do what I do and never get a brand new unit.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Auto Shops o Kasa Maintenance