New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Then the vehicle that would always win is the L300 and the Vios.

I prefer the Car of the Year formats with mixed judges... not only because I'm part of one COTY awards group, but because only by comparing a car to the competition on a level playing field do you get to see true winners.

Yun nga lang... budgetary restraints means that the local PCOTY can only consider new cars... for me, the true test of a good car is if it can beat the perennial class leaders, even if they haven't been updated (cough - Honda Jazz - cough).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    How about a group/mixed judges select the cars that would compete on a per category basis and then use a weighted system that includes both sales (private only and not fleet buyers) and votes.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sales are not a good indicator of a vehicle's goodness, by themselves.

Sales include fleet sales, which are more based on price and dealer incentives than anything else.

Would you say the Chery QQ is better than the Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10? Obviously not... but there was a blip in time when the sales went up due to fleet sales.

Vehicles that sell to fleets will always enjoy better sales. the Ranger, the Hilux, the Vios and the Accent.

If we have sales data showing the Avanza spiking in one year over the Innova, would that make the Avanza better than the Innova? Or simply cheaper?

Then there's supply issues and number of dealerships. Subaru would never win a sales game, with just one dealership. But nobody would argue that they make bad cars. And if Toyota sales dip because of the Tsunami... does that mean Toyotas are bad vehicles overall?

The only way to grade fairly would be mixed judges, subjective test... then a follow-up study for after-sales satisfaction dealing with durability, reliability and maintenance issues. ;) Sort of how Consumer Reports does it... but I have issues with the subjectivity of their after-sales reliability data (especially with regards to brakes... as they rate squeaky but functionally perfect brakes as an issue!)

Of course, that means the COTY 2011 would be announced in late 2012... because of the 1 year follow up study...

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Sales are not a good indicator of a vehicle's goodness, by themselves.

Sales include fleet sales, which are more based on price and dealer incentives than anything else.

Would you say the Chery QQ is better than the Kia Picanto or Hyundai i10? Obviously not... but there was a blip in time when the sales went up due to fleet sales.

Vehicles that sell to fleets will always enjoy better sales. the Ranger, the Hilux, the Vios and the Accent.

If we have sales data showing the Avanza spiking in one year over the Innova, would that make the Avanza better than the Innova? Or simply cheaper?

Then there's supply issues and number of dealerships. Subaru would never win a sales game, with just one dealership. But nobody would argue that they make bad cars. And if Toyota sales dip because of the Tsunami... does that mean Toyotas are bad vehicles overall?

The only way to grade fairly would be mixed judges, subjective test... then a follow-up study for after-sales satisfaction dealing with durability, reliability and maintenance issues. ;) Sort of how Consumer Reports does it... but I have issues with the subjectivity of their after-sales reliability data (especially with regards to brakes... as they rate squeaky but functionally perfect brakes as an issue!)

Of course, that means the COTY 2011 would be announced in late 2012... because of the 1 year follow up study...
    I see your point, I guess right now there's no perfect way to achieve the real result but little improvements would surely make it more credible.

5. Join Date
    May 2010

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    haha, hindi kapanipaniwala for me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Lupit ng nissan, lahat ata ng category na may entry sila panalo! Something's fishy!

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    haha, hindi kapanipaniwala for me.
    For sure, may daya ito

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Why cheat?

If there are twenty or thirty thousand votes cast and you have five thousand employees in sales, distribution, service and marketing, and another thousand or so at the plant, and they have relatives... it's a pretty simple matter to buy a newspaper for each one to get a ballot, or to have each one log into the internet or send a text ballot.

Was even worse before, when you could vote as many times as you wanted via text... with 3 pesos per text vote. Now you're limited to just one vote per phone number or e-mail address. But that doesn't mean you're limited to one vote per person.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
2011 Auto Focus People's Choice Awards