New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Heretic Guest
    I have finished breaking-in my Hyundai Matrix 1.5 CRDI and have found the acceleration to be faster than expected. I have purchased the diesel version beacuse of the fuel consumption, short length and near-AUV like space. With my friend on the front passenger side, I revved the Matrix up and found out that it took us 12.03 seconds to reach the 100km/h mark.

Would you consider this fast? Just right? I was just curious because she ran above the advertised 82hp and 136 torque and C! Magazine wrote in their June 2005 issue that they were able to reach the 100km/h in 11.02s using a Vbox.

What the heck is a Vbox?

Here's a picture of her parked on the 2nd level basement of Gateway Cubao.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a Racelogic VBOX is an advanced (and expensive) and highly precise GPS-based measurement device.

without such an external measurement device, it's difficult to judge a 0-100 kmh time. if you relied on a stopwatch, speedometers aren't 100% accurate. the way you launch (did you just mash the accelerator, or did you do a drop-clutch start?) will also have a big effect. how fast you shift will also have an effect.

that said, 12 seconds is slow by US-magazine standards, but certainly waaaay more than adequate for ordinary usage.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    yeah the way to measure your 0-100km/h mark is to do a drag time.. kasi pag yung mga vbox o G-tegh pro lang ang gagamitin mo hindi sya ganun kaaccurate.. kung 11.03 ang sa mag then medyo mabagal ka pa.. just need more practice and gaanan mo yung kotse mo para medyo pa bumilis and don't use your ac also para makatulong.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yeah, strip the entire interior if you want to be faster. But that negates the usage of your Matrix

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    12secs is already quite good in the Philippine scenario (especially if you have a 1.5L oil burner)... besides, in the real world, mid range passing/acceleration (i.e. 5-60mph, 30-60mph tests) would be more important usually.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    12 seconds is just about right for seat-of-the-pants timing for a car tested to 11 seconds.

If your car can do it in 11 seconds, there's no guarantee that it'll do it every day, in every condition, and with any load... for example, there are two of you in the car... that makes it MUCH slower, as the engine is just a 1.5. With just one person in the car, 11.5 or less is believable.

And in regards to how 11 seconds compares... if there's just you or you and a friend in your Matrix, you aren't going to be smoked by many 1.6 GAS-POWERED sedans... and AUVs and pick-ups won't trouble you at all. Yup... 11 is fast enough.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

12s to reach 100km/h, fast or not? What is a Vbox?