New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hi! first post here. hope you guys can help me out. i'm considering the everest a/t (most likely preowned) but am undecided between the 4x2 and 4x4. i don't really need 4x4 but abs is important to me and the power mirrors, rear sensors, etc are nice to have. anyway, i've heard that the a/t is slower than the m/t and that the a/t and 4x4 combo is even worse. my question is, how much slower is it? i'm no speed demon but i do want enough reserve to overtake trucks and buses, especially on the climb to baguio. my only experience with driving diesel engines are a 96 pajero and a 98 spacegear. neither feel stable past 110kph but i don't really go beyond that anyway with my kids in the car. both are pathetic, however, at overtaking.

in short, what are your thoughts on:
    1. everest in general
    2. 4x2 vs 4x4
    3. 4x4 with a/t
    4. comfortable cruising speed
    5. overtaking power

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    1. everest in general
    Its a dependable vehicle with the strongest engine horsepower in its class 2.5 turbo diesel at 110ps. syempre talo na siya pag crdi ang makina.
    2. 4x2 vs 4x4
    Either is a good choice depends if you go offroading or not. And features 4x4 has the LSD and abs
    3. 4x4 with a/t
    With an a/t don't expect fast speeds and quick acceleration. It does a good job of climbing baguio.
    100 to 120 is stable but noy overwhelming
    5. overtaking power
    basically its a diesel vehicle at the 30 to 70 kph band you may overtake with confidence but if it's above 70 you might think twice. (mabibitin)

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1. Basically, it's a truck. A step up from the AUV, but not as refined as the Alterra or Fortuner, although interior space is great. It has good headroom and it doesn't suffer from the Alterra's ironing board third-wheel seat in the second row.

Ergonomics are relatively good (hey, the switchgear is all Mazda ) and it's easy to operate.

Ride is truckish. Don't expect too much.

2. The 4x4 is an attractive package, but for most of your needs, 4x2 will suffice.

3. Hehe... 0-100 km/h in the time it takes a Fortuner or Alterra to get to 160.

4. 80-100 km/h

5. Errh.... it's more strategic planning than power that'll get you past trucks on the highway. In traffic, it's not such a biggie.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    We have a 4x2 a/t and it does serve it's purpose well... We just changed the shocks to OME's and the ride is much better then the stockers. Power is sufficient for passing in the 60-80+kph range and highway driving at speeds between 100-140kph (it also runs a bit lighter with multi-grade when i compare it to the monograde oil teh CASA puts in).

When i drove a 4x4 a/t model in Davao (with bling blings), i did notice a verifiable difference in low-end acceleration (needed a much heavier foot).

What i like about the Everest: it reminds me of the Pajeros of yesteryear... a basic SUV with a pre-combustion diesel engine (but better power then the Paj).

5. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I have an Everest 4x2 A/T and been driving it almost daily for over a year now. I bring it up Baguio every other month. I use biodiesel on it at 2.86% blend (load 1-liter BD every half tank). Still at all-stock configuration, no mods made.

It's acceleration and top speed is better than my Innova D4D M/T or my '99 Starex TDIC A/T (all with 2.5-liter turbo-diesel engines).

I get smooth quick linear acceleration from 0-140kph without any acceleration resistance whatsoever. Past 140kph, you inch your way up to 160kph. I haven't taken it beyond 160kph yet (speedometer is only up to 180 kph). My Innova has a tough time going beyond 110kph while my Starex can only do up to 150kph tops. (I do my fast runs at Star tollway)

2,000 rpm at overdrive gives you 94kph (my fuel efficient cruising speed).

Fuel tank capacity is 71-liters. One full tank gets me to Baguio, 2 full days driving short trips within Baguio, and back home here in Paranaque and still have around 1/8 tank of fuel left without having to refuel anytime in between.

Floor the hammer and you get instantaneous acceleration. Even fully loaded, I can overtake buses on the steep portion of Kenon just past the Lion's head. (must be from the biodiesel, sometimes I load 3-liters BD per full tank when doing out-of-town trips).

If you have time, do check out the Everest Owners thread over at Ford Club Phils. forum under Tough Stuff ( http://www.fordclubph.com/phpbb/ )

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by edrik

in short, what are your thoughts on:
    1. everest in general
    2. 4x2 vs 4x4
    3. 4x4 with a/t
    5. overtaking power
    we both prioritze safety..especially family guy na tayo..di ba?

sagot ko to in order:

1. ok naman ung everest, medyo mahaba ung nguso, pero ok naman..crouching nga lang kung ikaw uupo sa likod..pero dont expect na it'll give you a car-ride...unlike that bozo in the other thread..search mo nalang...

2.4x2vs4x4, as for me, i own 4wd liteace and owned a 4wd delica...dont you know, and most others dont know, 4x4 is very essential in our city.. for example, di natin alam kung kailan ka ma-aksidenteng mahulog sa canal/manhole lalo na ngayong tag-ulan... 4x4, has low kung mag totow ka, 4x4 kung mag-pprovince ka, lalo na kung katulad ng atimonan, palayan city...at mga barrio-barrio..at least 1 can do most roads ka...

3.4x4 a/t. delica at liteace ko 4wd a/t...same as any a/t, may 4wd lang...kung di ka hardcore offroader, ok yan...less worry sa gear mo, more on driving...safety diba...

4. cruising? its an suv, so dont expect it to be fast, pero i can say, on nlex, 120-130 takbo ng maxima ko, an everest will still be at my tail...160 hirap na humabol un...tsaka, 80-100 is just fine....and kung a/t 80-100 will do well..

5.well, sa a/t di yan tulad ng matic...kung sinagad mo ung gas, it will lag for few sec then pala siya kung mag-ddownshift....i-off mo nalang ung o/d kung oovertake ka...ung 2 at L for up/down hill yun...

hope this covers it...and nga pala, kung pre-owned, check mo ung dip-stick ng matic, smell the oil, dapat sweetish sour na amoy motor oil yan, kahit di ganun kapula yan..basta mahalaga ung amoy...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Given enough flat road (anda tailwind perhaps :P) the Eve 4x2 a/t can reach an indicated 170kph or so (probably doing 150+ to 160 in actuality... just guessing); reached it before with no load on a carless NLEX southbound lane before San Fernando.

questions on everest a/t