New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    I am doing a little research about saving gas, then napadpad ako dito sa forum, napakalakas kasi sa gas ng auto ko, Ford Lynx Ghia 2001 AT. 3km/l city driving, conscious pa ako nyan sa acceleration and breaking. Tagal ko na rin narinig itong KSTC, may numbers pa nga ako ng mga installers nung nakita ko itong na feature sa isang tv show. Minsan naitanong ko na rin sa taxi driver kung ok ba talaga ito, negative din ang sagot sa akin. Hindi ako mapaniwalaing tao kaya gusto ko i-try, pero sa mga nabasa ko dito mukhang alam naman ng mga debunkers ang mga sinasabi nila. Talagang nagbago isip ko. Se-segway lang ako ng konti para sa tanong ko.

Simpleng tanong lang naman: Ano dapat kong gawin sa auto ko para makatipid ako sa gas? (bukod sa huwag kong gamitin at maglakad na lang) : ) Ghosthunter and Niky. Tuloooooooooong! : )

Btw, nice thread, entertaining habang binabasa ko mula page 100. May twist ng konti, may revelation, may suspense pa nga. Inaabangan ko tuloy pagme-meet ni Ghosthunter, Niky, khaos, at rotciv79. 7 years in the making.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Moderator's Note:

I have created this thread from the post in the thread:

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...88#post1431488

because it is more appropriate in this sub-forum.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    *boydura

Tell us more about your car, it's current condition, any mods done (wheels, engine, etc) and your typical route to home, work, school, etc (traffic condition, etc).

BTW, have you cleaned the air intake sensor? Just a passing thought, but a dirty sensor can result in poor FC.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; March 7th, 2010 at 10:02 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You'll have to check and clean the MAF sensor... gently... use electric contact cleaner, but don't rub the sensor wire with a cleaning cloth or cotton bud... it may break. Also, you'll have to remove the MAF housing from the intake to do the cleaning, as the silicone residue is bad for your O2 sensors.

Also have your engine's condition checked. A tune-up is a good idea.

1.6 ATs are normally terrible on gas consumption in the city, but 3 km/l is a bit much. If you're driving ultra-short distances (2-3 kilometer trips) in traffic, you might see 5-6 km/l.

Also note how you record fuel. The only reasonably accurate way is to top-off the tank (1st click), drive around for a week or so, then top-off at the exact same station, at the exact same pump... hopefully at the same time of day.

Oh... and some Lynx and Familia owners have reported blown MAF sensors when they tried installing the KSTC, so it's definitely not recommended in your case.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    *ghosthunter and niky

Got it boss! : ) I will read the rest of thread this evening. My usual route is home to office and back, on the average I travel 3.5km to and from, travel time around 10 to 15 mins. I checked my FC in different ways, I tried full tank, 1500, 1000, and 500. They all gave me same results, before it's 4-5km/l, then I had the oil changed, FC goes down to 3km/l. Jeez!

Modifications? I bought the car from friend of a friend, no reported mods.

I will take all your advise first then I'll report what will happen. First stop, tune up.

One more thing, what will I do about the vibration when AC is on?

Car repairs newbie. Kaya baka hindi ko magets agad ibang technical terms dito. : ) Like MAF, hehehe, di ko alam pa kung saan makikita yan. But I'll take what I can take and more than willing to learn. TYVM guys.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    MAF is the air intake sensor I mentioned in my post.

It should be located somewhere between the air filter and the intake hose of the engine. You'll spot a wire attached to it. The actual sensor is just like a thin wire. You might need to clean it if it's already dirty.

Cleaning the sensor is just a matter of spraying electric contact cleaner in liberal amounts to flush out the accumulated dirt/dust. Warning that you do not spray directly to avoid damaging the sensor. Also do not touch it. After drying, install it back.

If you aren't familiar, just have a car mechanic do it for you.

Now, you mentioned heavy vibrations whenever the A/C compressor is engaged. This kinda makes me suspicious that the compressor might be starting to fail in that it takes more effort to turn it. This results in the requiring more engine power to turn it and so, higher fuel consumption whenever you are using the A/C.

A mechanic can also check this by turning the compressor by hand to see how much effort is needed to turn it. This might be bad news for you because replacing an A/C compressor is expensive.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Contrawise... it could be that your engine mounts are going soft. But a failing compressor clutch could also explain the change in fuel economy.

5 km/l would be just right for a 15 minute 3 km trip. Especially with an automatic.

What oil did you use on the change? Try switching to a lighter one, also, on your next change. A 5w40 or 5w30 should do.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    italian tune up. gaganda ang takbo ng makina at FC.

:D :D :D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Contrawise... it could be that your engine mounts are going soft. But a failing compressor clutch could also explain the change in fuel economy.
    Soft mounts would have the vibrations all the time. My money is still on the A/C compressor having some problem.

What oil did you use on the change? Try switching to a lighter one, also, on your next change. A 5w40 or 5w30 should do.
    Although using a lighter oil would help increase a car's fuel mileage, it wouldn't solve the current problem.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Soft mounts would have the vibrations all the time. My money is still on the A/C compressor having some problem.
    If they're just starting to go, the vibration would only be noticeable on startup, gearchanges and AC activation. Still... I still agree with you that the AC seems the likely culprit, but it can't hurt to check.

Although using a lighter oil would help increase a car's fuel mileage, it wouldn't solve the current problem.
    True. Just a suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
HELP: Ford Lynx Ghia 2001 AT w/ poor FC