New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    hi,

i'm a super new driver and not so familiar with the car industry esp with pre-owned cars. is 220k reasonable for a 3rd hand ford lynx ghia 2005 model? help please

thank you in advance

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    That depends. The Ford Lynx is a good design. It's a rebadged Mazda Protege/323.

What's the mileage? Condition of the engine? If it's an automatic, does it shift properly? What's the condition of the interior?

It might be easier to look for a used car check list. The list would give you more systematic way of ensuring that you don't get somebody else's problem.

Here are my suggestions on checking out a used car:

1. test drive - drive it at 100 kph for at least 5 minutes. If the steering wheel vibrates, the car needs to be realigned at the very least. It might have some expensive suspension problems too.

2. use a check list - there are a number of used car check lists on the web. Use one that you understand. I saw a Popular Mechanics pdf check list on the web. It looks pretty user friendly and it also gives you some tools that you might want to bring.

3. have a trusted mechanic inspect the car - this is probably the most important one. Have the mechanic check the underbody and the suspension. If the car was flooded, there will be telltale signs.

220k for a For Lynx sounds reasonable based on the For Sale listings on this site. However, you have to make sure that you don't get a car that will fall apart on you the very second you hand over your money.

Good luck!