New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    According to the owner's manual, an octane rating of 89 is recommended for the Triton V8 engines. Also, according to a Service Advisor from Ford Alabang when i brought my ride there last week for a KMCU, 89 is the recommended rating. Funny, last few times I had it serviced, they didn't say having high octane fuel was bad.

Questions:
    1. What gas stations in and around the Metro still carry 89 octane?
    2. For Exped/F150 owners, what gas and octane rating do you use?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    High octane isn't bad. Basically they were saying your ride would be happy with 89 octane gasoline, but something better won't hurt. That also means using high-octane won't give much improvement either, because it only needs 89.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    splerdu,
    ok, thought so. i was just a little bothered by what the SA said coz he said Vortex Silver (93) is too high and that i should go look for something with just 89 octane. so i went around and the lowest i found was 93.

thanks bro!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Vortex Silver ang gamit ng bossing ko sa Expe nila...no engine problem hanggang ngayon...

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Running a higher octane than what is required will not hurt your engine. In some cases, it may slightly improve performance if the ECU/PCM allows some timing advance.

The octane rating published in the owner's manual of U.S. vehicles is "Pump Octane" and not the Research Octane Number (RON) that seems to have become a standard in the Philippines.

Philippine oil companies quote Research Octane Numbers (RON) to advertise their gasoline. U.S. pump octane is the average of RON and Motor Octane Number (MON). If you've noticed Blaze, Velocity and Caltex Gold are being advertised to have octane numbers of over 95 while common U.S. premium is only 91-93. Do we really get higher octane gas in the Philippines? No, we do not!!! Philippine oil companies just use the rating that gives higher numbers without informing the public.

To verify my statements, call the Technical department of Shell, Caltex or Petron and ask for the octane standard they are using-- RON, MON or pump octane.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i guess wala namang 89 octane dito sa local market today eh..the best thing to do is to use the lowest available unleaded gas na lang. wala namang harm in using a 93 octane eh. the purpose of high octane gas is to eliminate engine knocks lang naman and nothing else.

8)

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    89 octane is an average of MON and RON ratings as used in the US as johnqpublic said. we use the higher RON rating here.

89 octane in the US is about equivalent to 95 octane here...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ah i see. coz my complaint with the exped is it used to gag when i rev it after a cold start. the SA said it could be coz of the high octane rating. anyway, after the change oil/tune up and battery change, without a change in fuel octane rating, the gag was gone after the cold start, so i would think it wasn't caused by the fuel.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    i use caltex silver and shell unleaded since 99 and my lariat works fine no probs

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    been using Vortex silver for Expedition and MarkIII ... no probs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Gasoline/Octane for Expedition/F-150