New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky
    Fuel consumption for the UK model, with the new Ti-VCT engine (same as here, they're no longer using the old one)....
    Take note that these figures are obtained via the new EU directive for testing, and are NOT equivalent to US EPA figures.. We had a tizzy on another board arguing back and forth over relative fuel efficiency, until we figured out we were using different figures. US EPA figures are generally more optimistic.

I'd expect the Focus 1.6 to get maybe 9-10 km/l in Philippine urban settings, and maybe 15 km/l on the highway. That 19 km/l might be possible on long drives, but I'm not so sure. Guess we'll have to wait for local tests.
    Can we use this as a basis even if the RP Focus 1.6 (based on the specs displayed with the car at Gateway) matches that of the MZR.
    Identical capacity, power output, torque etc.
    ...here are the specs again for the nth time , can anyone please confirm if they are indeed using the MZR engine?

Duratec 1.6L
    Number of cylinders 4, In-line
    Engine capacity 1596 cc
    Number of valves 16 DOHC
    Fuel Petrol, Injection by cylinder
    Bore 79.0 mm
    Stroke 81.4 mm
    Compression ratio 11.0
    Max Power 74 kW (100.6 PS) * 6000 rpm
    Max torque 150 Nm * 4000 rpm

Duratec 1.6L "Ti-VCT"
    Engine capacity 1596 cc
    Number of valves 16 DOHC
    Bore 79.0 mm
    Stroke 81.4 mm
    Compression ratio 11.0
    Max Power 85 kW (115.6 PS) * 6000 rpm
    Max torque 155 Nm * 4150 rpm

Mazda 3's 1.6 liter MZR...
    MZR 1.6L
    Engine capacity 1598 cc
    Number of valves 16 DOHC
    Bore 78.0 mm
    Stroke 83.6 mm
    Compression ratio 10.0
    Max Power 77 kW (105 PS) * 6000 rpm
    Max torque 145 Nm * 4000 rpm
    Last edited by AG4; February 14th, 2006 at 12:03 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The new Duratec is based on the MZR. The old Zetec platform engines were dropped with the last generation Focus. I'm not sure if they still use the Zetec in the US Focus (which still rides on the Focus Mk I platform) but all European and Asian Focii now use the MZR-based Duratec, albeit with differences in parts and tuning to suit Ford's applications.

The only "Ford" engine in the current small-displacement line-up here in the Philippines is the 3.0 V6 in the Tribute/Escape... but its MZR-Duratec replacement, a 3.5 liter powerplant, is already coming.

Toyota can still claim the 130+ hp power rating for their Asian engines because they don't need to follow SAE standards out here (though they should). The US SAE testing accurately reflects the true power of the engine. Like I've said... it just isn't fast enough to be a 130-140 hp car.
    Last edited by niky; February 14th, 2006 at 01:50 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The new Duratec is based on the MZR. The old Zetec platform engines were dropped with the last generation Focus.
    Actually smaller displacement Duratecs(1.4 and 1.6) are derived from the old Zetec-SE "Sigma" engine, it was renamed Duratec for use in the new Mk2 Focus. the latest version of this engine is the Ti-VCT (Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing) Duratec with 115hp.
    What I was saying was the RP Focus 1.6 engine specs matches that of the MZR 1.6 and not the 1.6 Duratec and 1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT.

I'm not sure if they still use the Zetec in the US Focus (which still rides on the Focus Mk I platform) but all European and Asian Focii now use the MZR-based Duratec, albeit with differences in parts and tuning to suit Ford's applications.
    The USDM Focus now uses the MZR based 2.0 and 2.3 liter Duratec engines even if its still based on the Mk1 platform.
    Last edited by AG4; February 14th, 2006 at 02:16 AM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    While it makes sense for them to have the exact same engine since the Mazda3 and the Focus are made at the same plant, Ford still advertises the engine as a Ti-VCT. I'll pick up a manual at my dealership tomorrow to see if it's true...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    While it makes sense for them to have the exact same engine since the Mazda3 and the Focus are made at the same plant, Ford still advertises the engine as a Ti-VCT. I'll pick up a manual at my dealership tomorrow to see if it's true...
    OK, update us and also take down the bore & stroke if you see the complete engine specs...
    By the way I checked out the Focus 1.6 this evening... the engine had no markings except for a small Mazda sticker. The sales guy admitted that its the same 105PS engine thats in the Mazda 3 1.6. I double checked the brochure and it did say that it has 105PS 1598cc engine just like the Mazda 3 1.6.

I think Ford Philippines decided to put the 1.6 MZR engine instead of the euro market 1.6 Duratec for practical reasons. Why introduce another 1.6 liter engine, when they already manufacture one here.
    Last edited by AG4; February 14th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's interesting to know. I'll be there this afternoon. I'll let you guys know.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    niky, what did you find out? do you know anyone who has test driven this car?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    The Ford Focus 1.6 is a bit underpowered but the manual tranny is great.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Di ko pa napuntahan yung brochure at specs sheet (was actually there last week, forgot nga lang), but I've driven the 1.6. It's smooth, good steering and body control, great sound suppression and a firm yet well damped ride. The gearshift is entertainingly short and stubby, and clutch actuation is very good (you can lug it near idle while creeping, and it won't complain). It's slow, obviously, since it's a 1.6, but other than that, I think it's good value for the money.

The interior is at par with most competitors, but not as exciting-looking as even the base Mazda3, and it's definitely not as loaded as the 1.8 or 2.0 Focus (no rear aircon vents, manual AC controls instead of automatic climate control, and no leather).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Ford Philippines introduces the Focus 1.6 M/T