New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gd afternoon Sir/s,

I own a Ford Lynx 2000 M/T.

Just want to know ilang liters po ang reserved fuel ng Ford Lynx?

When the yellow amber light on the dash board turns on, does that mean I'm already running on reserved fuel?

Mga ilang km pa po kaya kayang takbuhin nun before it totally runs out of fuel.

Out of curiosity lang po.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You have around 7-8 liters left when the light goes on. About 5 liters when the needle sits level with the empty line.

The number of kilometers will depend on how conservatively you drive. On the highway, you should have at least 80 kilometers of range. In traffic, less.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Niky,

Hi i dont think nasa tamang thread ako regarding sa concern ko pero i desperate in looking for an answer or at least idea what is going on with my ford lynx ghia model 99. I just wanted to get your idea and i would really appreciate it a lot.

Question: What does the battery indicator means when it turns on after 15 - 20 minutes of driving?

Its a long story but ill try to make it short. 1 week ago, i tried to start the engine but to no avail. It just clicked. It turned on the power like for lights and window but not the engine. The red battery indicator was turned on. So, i asked a trusted mechanic and said it could be the battery so i replaced it. I got a new battery motolite 2sm enduro. Tried again to start the engine but still the same problem. During that time, i was able start the engine drove for awhile but the red battery light appeared again so ran to the nearest autoshop (mickeys). They said it could be the alternator. I was hesitant so i've decided to scan it with their "electrical scanner" thing. The result were okay except that the alternator did not provide enough power to make the entire engine start/run. So they suggested to clean the alternator. It worked, my lynx ran okay just like the old times but the next day it happened again. So i rushed to the autoshop again and tell them the story.

They came up with the idea that the alternator has to replaced which we did and that cost me 10K including labor. All set with the new battery and alternator. Tried to start but the same PROBLEM. All of them seemed to be confused about the result so they suspected that it could be the new battery i bought. So, they had me borrowed their 3sm battery and it worked. I went home pack up things and we went somewhere. Before we get to the place booom! the battery indicator appears again, so what was going on?

I had replaced the battery and the alternator but that battery indicator thing still infront of me.

By the way, when that red light battery appears, the car start to act up like a remote control toy car loosing it's power and then just stop anywhere all of a sudden. You feel the car runs very slow. It can't even pass through the bangketa or crawl up to something elevated area. It will stop eventually in the middle of nowhere.

So, this is my problem. I hope anyone of you can give me at least idea what is going on. I've spent quite a few for this problem but until now still clueless. Tomorrow i will go back again to Mickeys auto shop to have them check my lynx again hoping this time they have a permanent fix to my problem.

Thank you

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    By the way, it's automatic all power lynx model 99.

Thanks again

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm just as puzzled as they are. If it started to happen while you were driving, I wouldn't have gone with the battery... I would have gone with the alternator diagnosis right away.

Not really probable that it's slipping belts... hmmm...

The Lynx alternator, as far as I know, is electronically controlled... limited to just 12v charging even when you rev it (older cars could get 14v charging). This is to prevent overcharging and to maintain good battery life. Could be there's an electronic problem with your alternator... but since you have a new one, it might be a sensor in the electrical system, but I don't know where or what that sensor could be.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Thank you Nikki for your thoughts.

You know this is the most stressful day of my life not because of my lynx but because of the service of MICKEYS AUTO-BUS (Auto shop - located at P Tuazon Marikina infront of Tapsi ni vivian near Sta lucia Mall). I will never let them check my car ever again i hope anyone could read this will do the same.

To make the story short, they have no idea about the problem of my lynx. They just cant simply fix it and they tired of trying to fix it. They only know trial and error. SO THEY DECIDED TO RETURN THE MONEY AND GET THEIR DEFECTIVE RECON/REBUILD ALTERNATOR THE COST P10,000. Ive been out from work for 4 days para lang dalin sa MICKEYs ang oto ko to fix them. But they just simply don't know what they are doing. Ang dami nilang backjob.

Niki, you know the real problem? kaninang 7PM ako na lang ang customer nila. Lahat tapos na except me na customer. Nag scan ulet sila ng engine, ang sabi "no generate electricity" according to manager that means, no power or electricity from their new RECON alternator. That was so disappointing to hear. After all, yung kinabit pala nila na bagong alternator may problema. Working siya but it was not compatible.

The appearance maybe the same with the original alternator pero may something na nag iba. I asked someone who knows about electricals ang sabi iba yung alternator na kinabit sa oto mo.

Ang difference, dun sa original na alternator my information na naka indicate that says "{P D}" pero dun sa RECON na alternator ang naka indicate {L S} i've asked so many mechanics and they said mag kaiba nga yon it would not work!

So how come hindi na detect ni MICKEYs to? at the since this morning i keep on telling them, "Boss, sabi sa electrical shop iba daw yung kinabit niyo?, pero sabi ni Mickeys, hindi okay lang yan" tsk tsk...very disappointing!

I'm posting it para in case you encounter the same problem, you might have an idea. Sorry, ang haba ng message ko, kase sobrang mag iinit ulo mo from mekaniko hanggang sa manager ng Mickeys. Mainit na rin ulo ng manager nila kase ang daming complaint sa kanila kanina. Their mechanics need more training and experience.

Bottomline, i have my money back and the original/old alternator na sira pero i was forced to use it kase wala silang pamalit na kagaya ng alternator ko. Isoli na lang daw para matapos na...tsk tsk

Is this what we called service? if only i have power to report them at para mag serve as warning to them..i would not hesitate to do it. Anyway, tomorrow is another day, i will look for a trusted, reliable and skilled auto shop to fix my lynx.

Thank you

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I'm just as puzzled as they are. If it started to happen while you were driving, I wouldn't have gone with the battery... I would have gone with the alternator diagnosis right away.

Not really probable that it's slipping belts... hmmm...

The Lynx alternator, as far as I know, is electronically controlled... limited to just 12v charging even when you rev it (older cars could get 14v charging). This is to prevent overcharging and to maintain good battery life. Could be there's an electronic problem with your alternator... but since you have a new one, it might be a sensor in the electrical system, but I don't know where or what that sensor could be.
    AFAIK, new cars with electronic voltage regulator (IC type) will regulate voltage from 13.5V to 14V!! the alternator will not be able to charge the battery if it only produces exact 12V..

*lioford, brand new ba yung alternator or surplus?? baka naman defective din yung alternator.. better bring it to an auto electrical shop.. they can do bench test of your alternator..

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    AFAIK, new cars with electronic voltage regulator (IC type) will regulate voltage from 13.5V to 14V!! the alternator will not be able to charge the battery if it only produces exact 12V..

*lioford, brand new ba yung alternator or surplus?? baka naman defective din yung alternator.. better bring it to an auto electrical shop.. they can do bench test of your alternator..
    The Familia/Lynx ECU is programmed to restrict alternator charging to 12v, no matter what alternator you put in. We've tested mine, and that's what it puts out. Others have tried installing more powerful alternators, and voltage output remains constant. I don't know why Mazda did this... probably to prevent fuses and lights from frying due to over-voltage, but that's where it's set.

If the diagnosis is that the alternator is busted just because it is only putting out 12v, then I doubt it's the alternator. If it's defective, it should be putting out less than 12v.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Hi Sirs,

This morning, i went to auto electrical shop (Rey auto electrical shop in Marikina) and have it checked my lynx. You know, it just took me 1 hour and everything is back to normal. Matagal pa yung pag hintay ko sa pag open ng shop nila kase maaga ako nag punta.

According to Rey, the original alternator i have has an ICU with code number [P D] while the one installed by MICKEYs auto shop has [L S]. Rey said it has something to do with the ICU and it would not work in my Lynx that is why it act badly.

Bottomline, Rey put an alternator EXACTLY the same as the original alternator. If you have chance to take a closer look at your lynx alternator look at not just the voltages but the code with [P D] or [L S] because that has something to do with the ICU.

In other words, hindi pwede yung kamukha lang ng itsura. Dapat parehong pareho yung specs/information indicated in the alternator itself.

Now, i've testing my lynx since 1:00 PM and okay na siya ulet.

*yapoy yung binili ko at Mickeys it cost 10K recon/rebuild pero i returned it to them kase not compatible. Wala silang stock ng may compatible sa lynx ko. While yung sa REY is only 3,800 surplus. According to them, recon and surplus are the same. May pintura lang yung recon.

Thank you sa inyo lahat.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    *Yapoy

Good afternoon

Actually hindi defective yung kinabit ng Mickeys. It is a good working alternator but the problem is not compatible with my lynx kaya kahit napalitan na may battery indicator parin na nag appear. And because the alternator is not compatible the battery tended to discharge kaya after few minutes of driving the car lose power and then it stop. You cant even make it to start the engine.

Thanks

FORD LYNX reserved fuel