New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not necessarily. The torque split is dependent on the gearing of the transfercase. In our Gen2 pajeros, the torque split is 50/50. But in the newer Gen3 pajero, the torque split is 34/66, to provide better on road handling (at the expense of offroad climbing power :D )

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cta2
    so the escape should have the same traction/power of a 4L ????
    This is where you got it mixed-up. The escape doesn't have the low gear in its tranfer gear ratios. So it will not perform the traction/power of a 4WD Low Gear. All it has is the high gear ratios same as used in ordinary driving.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sorry kung stupid question...
    diba kung naka 50/50 torque split parang naka 4L ka na din?... coz the 4L on conventional 4x4 will send the power 50:50
    The Escape's system does not fully lock unlike a conventinal C/D and it does not have a low range gear set.

Just like most 4x4's with no front or rear diff locks, the Escape will still get stuck when a wheel on each axle loses traction simultaneously.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    sorry kung stupid question...
    diba kung naka 50/50 torque split parang naka 4L ka na din?... coz the 4L on conventional 4x4 will send the power 50:50
    The Escape's system does not fully lock unlike a conventinal C/D and it does not have a low range gear set.

Just like most 4x4's with no front or rear diff locks, the Escape will still get stuck when a wheel on each axle loses traction simultaneously.
    It does have a "Central diff lock" thats what synchronizes the front and rear tires (which gives it a 50/50 torque split front and rear drive) not the rear and front drive, to engage it The "Central Diff Lock" you switch the control knob to the "ON" position WARNING do not engage it to the "ON" position when on pavement unless you are driving at a straight line at a maximum of 50 kph or you will break the "Central Diff Lock" That would be a rather expennsive repair Bill.

Again, the "Automatic mode is for All Wheel drive mode just like a all wheel drive rally car like a Celica all wheel drive or a Subaru.

Any vehicle with out a "Central Diff lock will get stuck once any of its tires when in a muddy situation coz of its unlocked Final drive, wether it be front or rear, the tire in a muddy or slippery situation will NOT pass the torque to the other side which has more resistance hence the need for Front or rear locking devices like a ARB air locker or any of the type like a "limited Slip Diffrential. The "Center diff Lock" comes into play by passing the torque to the rear, Thus improving the cahances of getting out of the stuck situation.

Land Rover 4x4's basically run on "All Wheel Drive" until the drivers who are familiar with thier vehicle require the Central diff lock and engage it using a electric/pressure switch.

Going Back to the Escape, it is basically a Front wheel drive vehicle until sensors on the rear sense slippage on the rear tires when you are in "Automatic" mode thats when it is on 'All wheel drive mode" Sswitch to 'ON' mode and you have the 50/50 torque split. REMEMBER do not use the "ON" mode when steering and driving on pavement you will BREK the vehicles trans mission in a very short period of time.

For Escape owners, please let me know if the dealership/sales consultant who you bought the vehicle from did not explain what i mentioned and warned about.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    from wolfpacks explanation, the escape's C/D can be locked and the escape can function just like any 4x4 like the pajero in 4HLc, strada 4H, isuzu 4H, patrol 4H and others. so i guess the only limiting factors for the escape is ground clearance, underbody armor, and no low range. but if it is an automatic even if it has no low range it can still manage due to the slipping qualities of the torque converter.

so just a little lift and agressive tires the escape can go with the big boys, what do you guys think?:lol:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I will look for the article explaining why the Escape's C/D does not fully lock. Basically it was about cost cutting.

Nasa Car & Driver ko nabasa.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    REMEMBER do not use the "ON" mode when steering and driving on pavement you will BREK the vehicles trans mission in a very short period of time.
    di pwedeng magsteer kapag naka-ON..?

kailangan straight-line lang ang direction kapag naka-ON?

engage ko sa ON kapag off-road kami..tapos mejo lumiliko-liko ako..nadudulas sa putik eh..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di pwedeng magsteer kapag naka-ON..?

kailangan straight-line lang ang direction kapag naka-ON?

engage ko sa ON kapag off-road kami..tapos mejo lumiliko-liko ako..nadudulas sa putik eh..
    Pwede, pero you will be stressing the driveline if you try to do it on dry pavement. Subukan mo sa Pajero, lakas ng resistance at binding.

Kung madulas ang daan, steer all you want.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    thanks for the replies...

Im aware how a conventional 4x4 works, I used to have one (vitara) and I went trailing with it... I always assumed that 4H is "like" 25:75 ratio "like" more power in the rear with some power at the front for traction... 4L is 50:50... equal power for front and back... its just my layman's understanding

that's why Im surprise that an escape can do a 50:50 split... which make me think that it can do a 4L... Im quite sure that an escape has higher gearing but it does have 1st gear.

The fact that the wheels are spinning in a bog means that the gear can handle it... but if the escape has a 50:50 split then front AND back tires should be spinning with a 50:50 power... just like a normal 4L (no modifications like lockers, etc.)

if it was an ordinary All wheel drive... only the tires at the back will spin (the front will only guide and give "some" power once in a while)...

what I know is that an AWD gives power to the front but not 50:50... it still gives more power to the rear

I just want to know if my theory is correct.

Thanks again

10. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    For All Wheel drive vehicles usually the manufacturer does the setting of the torque split.
    4 low on other vehicles equiped with a transfer case has nothing to do with torque split what it does is it uses a gear to deliver a higher RPM at a lower speed to utilize the engine torque generated. :D

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Ford Escape 4x4: Ok ba off-road capabilities nito?