New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Just gone thru an article about Ford's new monster mini-compact hatch. Will it ever reach our shores?

Ford Fiesta ST2: Bringing Europeans Up to America's Speed – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    No market for it really. Hot hatches just don't sell. You'll see a VW GTI every now and then, but compared to WRXs and Miatas, they're very few and far in between. Even the Mustang far outsells it.

Hot hatches don't sell because they look ordinary. In a country like ours where car ownership is a difficult luxury to attain, most people want to flaunt what they have.

A Fiesta ST200 looks like an 800k Fiesta. But a similarly-priced Miata is a headturner, and that matters to a lot of people who're the market of these niche cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The VW GTi is priced a bit high locally. They would have been better off being priced like the WRX or 86/BRZ or MX5. The Golf GTi is a budget performance car but VW PH has a different pricing scheme.

The Fiesta ST is a bargain performance car. If FordPH decides to bring it over and price it in line with how the US prices it (23k USD), it will be around the same price as TOTL compacts (1.3M). However, it's tough to sell it locally when most people will buy a CUV or PPV for the same price.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    What I actually want is the Focus ST but I know its not happening and Id rather wait until I can afford a wrx.

BTT: I havent seen a single peugeot hot hatch on the road. Then again, its P2m. Ive seen a few golf gtis in the same kind of places where explorers and lc200s are as common as fortuners.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Say they price it at 1.5M. In 100 people, how many will choose a hot hatch over a CUV or PPV?

If you get 2 or 3 buyers, that's lucky. But FGP will have to carry parts for this ST (electricals would be similar, but suspension and engine bits will be unique).

FGP would have to carry maintenance parts for that as well. Unfortunately, from my last talk with their sales director, they're more focused on their trucks and SUVs, specifically, the Everest, Ecosport, and Ranger. Those are what propelled them to #3. A Fiesta ST will not help cement their position at all.