New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    out of curiosity i had my escape dynoed at autoplus, it just got 130 wheel hp!

i also took the opportunity to have my speedometer checked as i had installed 255/55-18s which are 1 inch taller in diameter compared to the original 215/70-16s. To my surprise, the speedometers reading is 'still' correct! Looks like ford installed undersized tires to make the speedo read more to make it appear that the fuel mileage isn't actually worse than it is! :mad:
    it's highly unlikely that the speedo relearned itself.

i had the brake rotors and pads replaced today free of charge to address the problem of brake dust and rotor scouring. i suggest if yours haven't been replaced call your dealer to have them replaced.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    How much did it cost you for the dyno test only?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    I think Ford Philippines installed transmission gear box intended for the Escape with 235/70 R16 tires..so the output reading isn't really accurate at all.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    don't worry, speedometer error is very common and even the finest European cars were found to have greater speedo discrepancies than most. more importantly, odometers (and thus, trip meters) are generally very accurate even as speedos aren't.

parang ang baba naman ng 130 hp?? although it could be because of different factors really, like dyno calibrations, high ambient temperatures... or perhaps the discrepancy in wheel speeds is tripping up the ABS sensor and triggering a fail-safe? or maybe the engine management triggers a fail-safe because engine temperature is rising too high without rapid airflow cooling the radiator? (just speculating hehehe)

just curious... how do they test an on-demand all-wheel drive like the Escape? on a two-wheel dyno or on a four-wheel dyno?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    66bunny,

P2,000 for baseline

mbt,

i think the speedometer error here is deliberate.

read sa kenne belle website that the stock (2wd ata) V6 escape they tested only got 143whp. with their supercharger installed, they got 200 whp. still puny compared to 2.0 type R K20 with 204whp w/o turbo.

the only mods i have are k&n drop-in filter and flowmaster series 50 muffler.

they have a 4-wheel dyno

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir c24, try reading this http://www.ecutek.com/products/dyno and more infos about dynos http://home.iprimus.com.au/stevebm/Dyno_Info.htm

Merong 200hp ang Escape V6 engine..pero pag-dyno test there is a significant loss of power from the engine transmitted to wheels via the transmission system. Sabihin na nating hindi ganun kaganda ang gear box ng Escape..compare sa Honda Hatchbox, well di naman ginawa ang escape para pangkarera.

Plus napakarami pang factors sabi nga ni Sir mbt. How about dun sa mga car figures na nilagay sa dyno machine, gears na ginamit, maximum RPM, acceleration, vehicle condition, total mass, loss of traction, engaging of 4wd, etc.

Saka sali ka samin sa Ford Club! love to see your Escape, and join ka na rin sa Tsikot Mini-SUV EB.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    the dyno does not take into account gearing, weight, etc. as what is important is what is actual power at the wheels. it is up to the car manufacturer to design and engineer properly such that they do not make a "high" horsepower engine only at the flywheel only to lose it at the wheels where it is most important. as a comparison, i had my f150 4x4 w/ 4.6L V8 dynoed before, from a claimed 220hp it still managed 155whp on the same dyno machine (30% power loss), for a sport trac 4x4 4.0LV6 the power loss was 25%. It's highly unlikely that the power loss of the escape (37%) is a lot higher considering that surely it has less mass (tranny, etc) to overcome to transmit power to the wheels. So most likely it doesn't really make 206hp. And gearing doesn't affect the whp reading, only the torque reading.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why such huge losses? i don't think the figures (>25%) are plausible anymore...??

US measures typically exhibit only 10%-15% loss, and even accounting for higher average ambient temperatures here (even though some US states are as hot as the philippines) and other factors, the measured wheel-output loss should not be that big.

what could be the explanation? is it sure that the units of the dynos are identical (since different dynos can produce very different results) and comparable?

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    baka naman un dynos d calibrated hehe

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    tanong ko nga sa www.escape-central.com kung ilan ang nakuha nila sa dyno test nila.

Sir, san po ba kayo nagpa-dyno test? baka naman po 2nd hand na ang gamit nilang machine, di po kaya?
    Last edited by kiper; July 8th, 2004 at 02:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Escape V6 dyno hp