New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Good day mga sir and ma'am,

I hope we can revive this thread once again. My wife and I are considering purchasing a second hand 2011 - 2012 Ford Escape 2.3 (price range - 300-400k) and would like to ask for your inputs regarding the following.

1. Will long-term maintenance be an issue in terms of cost, labor and parts availability? Hindi po ba sya hassle or expensive to maintain? San kayo nagpapa change oil?

2. Fuel consumption as a daily driver and for out of town trips? Kamusta naman ang hatak nya for steep roads and inclines? Hindi naman po ba hirap especially when there's traffic?

3. Flood forging capabilities? Nalusong nyo na po ba ang Escape nyo sa baha? gano po kalalim and kinaya naman po ba matawaid yung baha w/out any problems after?

4. Related to Q2 - Ideal lang po ba nasa mga known casa (other than FORD like Servitek, Rapide, Motech etc.) lang sya dapat dalhin or any trusted mechanic w/ Ford know-how should do?

5. What specific things or issues should we look out for when inspecting a unit? Also should we request for a test drive?

6. Lastly, could you recommend a buy and sell casa in the vicinity of Makati or anywhere South in general?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and input. We truly appreciate your help.

Bon A.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon23 View Post
    Good day mga sir and ma'am,

I hope we can revive this thread once again. My wife and I are considering purchasing a second hand 2011 - 2012 Ford Escape 2.3 (price range - 300-400k) and would like to ask for your inputs regarding the following.

1. Will long-term maintenance be an issue in terms of cost, labor and parts availability? Hindi po ba sya hassle or expensive to maintain? San kayo nagpapa change oil?

2. Fuel consumption as a daily driver and for out of town trips? Kamusta naman ang hatak nya for steep roads and inclines? Hindi naman po ba hirap especially when there's traffic?

3. Flood forging capabilities? Nalusong nyo na po ba ang Escape nyo sa baha? gano po kalalim and kinaya naman po ba matawaid yung baha w/out any problems after?

4. Related to Q2 - Ideal lang po ba nasa mga known casa (other than FORD like Servitek, Rapide, Motech etc.) lang sya dapat dalhin or any trusted mechanic w/ Ford know-how should do?

5. What specific things or issues should we look out for when inspecting a unit? Also should we request for a test drive?

6. Lastly, could you recommend a buy and sell casa in the vicinity of Makati or anywhere South in general?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and input. We truly appreciate your help.

Bon A.
    I'll try to answer as best as I can. And this is assuming you got a unit that is in good condition.

1. Parts availability is not a problem, though some parts can be expensive.

2. Depends much on where and how you drive. Yung pinaka worst case scenario for me was 4km/L in mostly rush hour traffic in QC and Manila. Less toxic routes will yield better numbers, and low double digits is doable on the highway. At 157hp, hatak is good, but you will find yourself minimizing its usage due to fuel consumption penalty. Even just feathering the throttle will get you going on a decent pace.

3. Flood fording... Not so much. Air intake placement is not very high. Take it easy and go slowly on the floods. Though I suppose half tire thereabouts should be ok.

4. This is a relatively old model that has remained mostly the same over more than a decade of production. Talyer mechanics are quite familiar with it.

5. In my case, engine and transmission supports, AC parts and cooling system. Definitely request a test drive.

6. Not from that area so I don't know. But it would be better to buy from owner-sellers. Much cheaper that way. Have a look at Facebook Marketplace.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I'll try to answer as best as I can. And this is assuming you got a unit that is in good condition.

1. Parts availability is not a problem, though some parts can be expensive.

2. Depends much on where and how you drive. Yung pinaka worst case scenario for me was 4km/L in mostly rush hour traffic in QC and Manila. Less toxic routes will yield better numbers, and low double digits is doable on the highway. At 157hp, hatak is good, but you will find yourself minimizing its usage due to fuel consumption penalty. Even just feathering the throttle will get you going on a decent pace.

3. Flood fording... Not so much. Air intake placement is not very high. Take it easy and go slowly on the floods. Though I suppose half tire thereabouts should be ok.

4. This is a relatively old model that has remained mostly the same over more than a decade of production. Talyer mechanics are quite familiar with it.

5. In my case, engine and transmission supports, AC parts and cooling system. Definitely request a test drive.

6. Not from that area so I don't know. But it would be better to buy from owner-sellers. Much cheaper that way. Have a look at Facebook Marketplace.

Thank you for your input sir GTi, we truly appreciate your feedback, just a few more questions lang po sana if you wont mind.

1. Parts - malaki ba ng difference sir? like for example engine supports, shocks etc., or smaller ones like spark plugs etc.?

2. Consumption - good to know that a light foot will help with consumption as magaan lang paa ko naman talaga tho my wife is the exact opposite hehe . But at least we know na kaya kahit pa pataas ang daan with no hassles unless siguro ma trapik lang. Is it more ideal na laging naka full tank ba and FE mo, or not necessarily? Once the needle hits the red line on the FUEL guague ubos napo ba sya as in or may extra pa? Worst case scenario lang po wherein ma stuck ka sa unexpected traffic and lets say lower half tank kana (based on your experience po)?

3. Flood fording - Good to know kaya naman nya lumusong and we really do need a vehicle thats higher than a car kase our normal routes often times get flooded easily especially during the rainy season tho for the FE's height most likely less than half ng gulong lang lulubog sa kanya based on my estimates compared to our car na halos umaaboot na sa taas ng bumper kase medyo mbaba talaga sya.

4. Mechanics - Good to know na you can still go to your trusty mekaniko and not forced sa casa lang especially kung limited lang din budget.

5. Parts - Yes I read somewhere na pag second hand daw one should really check the engine supports, normally pag mas matigas means bago pa right? how do you check the transmission support, AC parts and cooling system?

6. No worries sir, yes mas ok sana kung direct buyer, kaso since medyo limited budget we may end up going for second hand car financing. Yes may mga nakita na ako din sa FB Market Place and will be sure to give them a call soon.

Thank you very much again sir for time and patience.

Bon A.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon23 View Post
    Thank you for your input sir GTi, we truly appreciate your feedback, just a few more questions lang po sana if you wont mind.

1. Parts - malaki ba ng difference sir? like for example engine supports, shocks etc., or smaller ones like spark plugs etc.?

2. Consumption - good to know that a light foot will help with consumption as magaan lang paa ko naman talaga tho my wife is the exact opposite hehe . But at least we know na kaya kahit pa pataas ang daan with no hassles unless siguro ma trapik lang. Is it more ideal na laging naka full tank ba and FE mo, or not necessarily? Once the needle hits the red line on the FUEL guague ubos napo ba sya as in or may extra pa? Worst case scenario lang po wherein ma stuck ka sa unexpected traffic and lets say lower half tank kana (based on your experience po)?

3. Flood fording - Good to know kaya naman nya lumusong and we really do need a vehicle thats higher than a car kase our normal routes often times get flooded easily especially during the rainy season tho for the FE's height most likely less than half ng gulong lang lulubog sa kanya based on my estimates compared to our car na halos umaaboot na sa taas ng bumper kase medyo mbaba talaga sya.

4. Mechanics - Good to know na you can still go to your trusty mekaniko and not forced sa casa lang especially kung limited lang din budget.

5. Parts - Yes I read somewhere na pag second hand daw one should really check the engine supports, normally pag mas matigas means bago pa right? how do you check the transmission support, AC parts and cooling system?

6. No worries sir, yes mas ok sana kung direct buyer, kaso since medyo limited budget we may end up going for second hand car financing. Yes may mga nakita na ako din sa FB Market Place and will be sure to give them a call soon.

Thank you very much again sir for time and patience.

Bon A.
    1. Paanong malaki ang difference? Compared with what? Pero medyo mahal ang spark plugs neto. Has to be Ford Motorcraft. I think P650/piece when I bought a few years ago.
    2. Route is a big factor. Try to avoid rush hour traffic. Also it would help if your route does not have a lot of traffic lights. I currently drive a Santa Fe. A route change from QC-Manila via Q. Ave/Espana (lots of traffic lights, 8-9kms one way) to QC-Val via Edsa (only 1 traffic light, 11-12kms one way) with the same travel time netted me a 1km/L improvement. There is a low fuel warning light. If push comes to shove, by the time it lights up, you still have I think around 5L of fuel left, so at least 10-20kms allowance to find a gas station. Never pa naman ako tinirik dito dahil naubusan ng gas. Comments on Ford Escape!??
    5. For the supports, ramdam mo naman when you drive it. Nahiya ang jeepney sa lakas ng yanig neto kapag nakahinto while naka D. Comments on Ford Escape!?? This is a gasoline EFI vehicle. There should be barely any vibration at all. This model has VERY cold AC even under the summer heat. If it is anything less, have the AC and cooling system checked. But as a general rule, upon buying a used car, especially a rather aged one, have an AC general cleaning and radiator overhaul done for peace of mind. If AC fails and/or engine temp rises while in heavy traffic under intense heat, check the aux fans, which may be failing intermittently. It took me months and several hit and miss repairs to learn this info.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    1. Paanong malaki ang difference? Compared with what? Pero medyo mahal ang spark plugs neto. Has to be Ford Motorcraft. I think P650/piece when I bought a few years ago.
    2. Route is a big factor. Try to avoid rush hour traffic. Also it would help if your route does not have a lot of traffic lights. I currently drive a Santa Fe. A route change from QC-Manila via Q. Ave/Espana (lots of traffic lights, 8-9kms one way) to QC-Val via Edsa (only 1 traffic light, 11-12kms one way) with the same travel time netted me a 1km/L improvement. There is a low fuel warning light. If push comes to shove, by the time it lights up, you still have I think around 5L of fuel left, so at least 10-20kms allowance to find a gas station. Never pa naman ako tinirik dito dahil naubusan ng gas. Comments on Ford Escape!??
    5. For the supports, ramdam mo naman when you drive it. Nahiya ang jeepney sa lakas ng yanig neto kapag nakahinto while naka D. Comments on Ford Escape!?? This is a gasoline EFI vehicle. There should be barely any vibration at all. This model has VERY cold AC even under the summer heat. If it is anything less, have the AC and cooling system checked. But as a general rule, upon buying a used car, especially a rather aged one, have an AC general cleaning and radiator overhaul done for peace of mind. If AC fails and/or engine temp rises while in heavy traffic under intense heat, check the aux fans, which may be failing intermittently. It took me months and several hit and miss repairs to learn this info.

Thank very much again sir GTi fir your additional inputs. We really appreciate all your feedback and comments. This will help us make sure we get the right second hand FE for our family.

Thank you very much again sir for your time.

Page 93 of 93 FirstFirst ... 43838990919293
Comments on Ford Escape!??