New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I got mixed feedbacks on this. Iba sabi hindi daw pwede and to stick with dextron3. Some say na its ok to use Dextron5 and is much better.

Who is right? Im looking for a good brand of ATF kasi as im due for a ATF change. Thanks.

ps-meron bang Mobil1 ATF somewhere sa south area? alabang/bf? gusto ko din sana yung synthetic na....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Joms,

Regardless of what's best, why not just stick to OEMs? Medyo nahirapan din ako maghanap nyang Dexron 3 na yan (for my steering fluid). I found one in Isuzu Libis for P160 petot. I guess meron din sa ibang branches. May nakita din ako sa ACE hardware kasi 250 petot...mahal.

HTH

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    My personal experience.

According to GM (who owns and formulates DEXRON ATFs), DEXRON III was supposed to be a compatible replacement to DEXRON II. But when I filled my Kia Carnival's (gray market) A/T with DEXRON III as opposed to the recommended DEXRON II, it was barely usable. I switched backed to harder to find DEXRON II

Best way to do this is check with Ford Philippines if it's ok By the way, Ford's ATF standard is known as MERCON.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Dacotyan,

Can you explain further when you said Ford's ATF standard is known as MERCON? Is Dexron II and MERCON the same?

Thanks.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    mercon is ford's version of atf which is used on its lineup of automatic transmission in the early days. and even before that they are using type f atf. the newer lineups already are using mercon v. i guess some transmissions not built in the U.S./Canada are using dexron III which adheres to GM specification. dexron II and III are not the same. on some application you can use III on II application. but not the other way around. if yours is dexron III and the atf label indicates dexron II, III, and mercon, you should be ok.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    you can't replace III with V. merong polymers or something yung V which is not compatible with the hydraulic piping (?) of the dexron/mercon III units.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    i saw a mobil1 ATF fully synthetic in a shop. medyo mahal nga lang pero i guess pwede eto. i forgot if it mentioned mercon but what i remember is that it is Dextron III.

pwede na eto right? gusto ko kasi fully synthetic na. minsan ko lang naman papalitan eto (like every 30k+ so might as well get the best oil)

8. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    is dextronIII and merconIII interchangeable ba? or is it a given na if the oil is dextronIII, it is also merconIII na din? basta what i know is that my transmission uses III. I dont know lang if its merconIII or dextronIII.

I'll be calling up ford again tomorrow and ask. Thanks for the help for those who have answered already =)

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    there is no mercon III. its dexron III

here are the common specifications :

GM; Dexron II, Dexron III
    Ford; Type F, Mercon, Mercon V
    Chrysler; ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3,ATF+4
    Allison; C-3 & C-4
    Caterpillar; TO-2 & TO-3
    Voith G1363
    ZF; TE-ML-14C
    Honda; Z-1
    Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III
    Toyota; Type T and T-IV
    Vickers I 286S & M2950S

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    thanks. big help

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
ATF: Can i use a DexronV if my escape's OEM ATF is only DexronIII?