New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    What’s all this fuzz about turbo engines? If Honda rolls out a car with a turbo engine, nobody goes rambling about how crappy it can be. When some other brand opted for a turbo engine on its model, it’s going to crap soon.

We have had a few turbo cars recently. Two have CVT trannies while the other two have DCTs. All are good vehicles. One of them was even a Ford.

I guess kung burara ka sa maintenance ng kotse, then bahala kayo sa buhay nyo. It’s your car anyway. It pays to read the owner’s manual but most Pinoys don’t even bother. Marami kasi nagmamarunong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    What’s all this fuzz about turbo engines? If Honda rolls out a car with a turbo engine, nobody goes rambling about how crappy it can be. When some other brand opted for a turbo engine on its model, it’s going to crap soon.

We have had a few turbo cars recently. Two have CVT trannies while the other two have DCTs. All are good vehicles. One of them was even a Ford.

I guess kung burara ka sa maintenance ng kotse, then bahala kayo sa buhay nyo. It’s your car anyway. It pays to read the owner’s manual but most Pinoys don’t even bother. Marami kasi nagmamarunong.

That’s the problem... madami burara. Yung pinsan ko nga kahit viscocity man lang ng oil ng sasakyan niya, hindi niya alam. Yung mga mechanic din naman sa tabi tabi, kung ano lang na oil nilalagay. Yung itsura pa nitong Ford Territory, mukhang patok sa masa... meaning most buyers would probably be experiencing their first turbo car. Maganda sana bigyan ng stern advice ng casa yung mga bibili, don’t put s*** inside your engine.

In my part, smooth na smooth na yung 1.5L ecoboost ko. No burning oil, no coolant issues, no fuel dilution and I’m not exactly gentle with it when driving. Still feels as good as the day I drove it out of the casa. I even prefer driving it over the FJ or the Kona.

As for the Honda being all praise... I dunno, Pinoys REALLY seem to love Japanese cars in general...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    This is bigger than I thought pala. Almost as tall as the rav4. Its wider than the rav4. And its shorter by just an inch than the rav4! And its bigger than the crv in all aspects based on another comment I saw!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Based on actual experience coming from a guy who’s driven NA all his life and tried a modern “normal” turbo car. Wouldn’t have learned and researched if the piston in my 1.5L ecoboost didn’t blow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ...good reason why i shouldn't buy one.
    heh heh.
    Not the same as the 180PS EcoBoost 1.5 found in the previous Focus/Escape. The 143PS EcoBoost 1.5 in the Territory was designed more for improved efficiency and lower emissions.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Pretty much the case.

Turbocharged engines are becoming more common nowadays, and car companies are slowly moving away from NA engines to meet stricter emissions standards and improve fuel economy without sacrificing power. Like I said earlier, this is slowly becoming the new normal for engines.
    Last edited by AG4; August 15th, 2020 at 03:48 AM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Best priced chinese car in the local market? fock lol

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Not the same as the 180PS EcoBoost 1.5 found in the previous Focus/Escape. The 143PS EcoBoost 1.5 in the Territory was designed more for improved efficiency and lower emissions.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much the case.

Turbocharged engines are becoming more common nowadays, and car companies are slowly moving away from NA engines to meet stricter emissions standards and improve fuel economy without sacrificing power. Like I said earlier, this is slowly becoming the new normal for engines.
    I’m speaking for turbo maintenance in general. Since oil flows through the turbo which becomes extremely hot, you can’t just put any ordinary “gasoline station” oils in it. Not only that, US now recommends API SN Plus to prevent LSPI for turbo. Turbo cars are GREAT if one knows how to open and read the manual booklet.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    I’m speaking for turbo maintenance in general. Since oil flows through the turbo which becomes extremely hot, you can’t just put any ordinary “gasoline station” oils in it. Not only that, US now recommends API SN Plus to prevent LSPI for turbo. Turbo cars are GREAT if one knows how to open and read the manual booklet.
    Even though we have NA cars in the family, we always made it a habit to follow manufacturer-specified oils and coolants. I assume more people do this nowadays. Expect more turbo vehicles to be launched here.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Usapang "Turbo" and "CVT"

IMO, a person who plans to keep a car for more than 10 years will most probably look at Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi or at the Korean choices.

A person na walang plan to have his car serviced sa casa will only look at Toyota and Mitsubishi

Personal estimate: less than 5% of car users sa Pinas (who do not avail of casa PMS) will use the right oil for their cars.

Do you think yung mga 90's Civic/Corolla na gumamit ng Japan surplus turbo engine may kasamang manual for the required oil?

Mas tatagal ang naturally aspirated engine, pero gaano katagal mo ba talaga plan gamitin yung car as a daily driver?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    We have two cars with turbo engines and CVT trannies. One is a Subaru and the other is a Honda. Both are out of warranty and serviced in nearby shops. However, we follow manufacturers’ guidelines on maintenance.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    ^good for you, then you are part of the 5% I mentioned who maintains their cars out of the casa and still use the correct oil as per the owners manual.

My daily driver is a Honda and dinadala sya sa Honda Manila Bay/Alabang every 6 months for PMS...

No idea what they're doing since busy ako. Father-in-law ko nagdadala

Basta ang nakikita ko sa bill is synthetic oil yung nilagay + other expenses na nilagay ng Honda