New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Saw the specs of the 1.6 SE over at Uly's site. Not very competitive IMO.

Trim level is about the same as the entry-level RAV4, but at least the RAV4 is 130k cheaper despite having the Toyota brand name. It also looks better, and is a very spacious CUV with pretty decent handling.

The CX-5 2.0 on the other hand, is priced the same as the 1.6 Escape but has more toys (push start, leather, etc). A bit down on power but most likely a better drive, and also very fuel efficient for its class.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    All Ford Escapes use a 6-speed SelectShift "torque converter" automatic.

That's for the Euro-spec "Kuga" version.
    The Philippines is getting the North American-Ford Escape and its 1.6 EcoBoost only comes in one flavor, the one that makes 178hp (180PS). This is the standard engine of the P1.49M Escape SE.
    Nakita ko sa carguide, dual clutch gamit :thumbdown:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Saw the specs of the 1.6 SE over at Uly's site. Not very competitive IMO.

Trim level is about the same as the entry-level RAV4, but at least the RAV4 is 130k cheaper despite having the Toyota brand name. It also looks better, and is a very spacious CUV with pretty decent handling.

The CX-5 2.0 on the other hand, is priced the same as the 1.6 Escape but has more toys (push start, leather, etc). A bit down on power but most likely a better drive, and also very fuel efficient for its class.
    It really depends how you look at it, the lower-end Escape SE might not have something like push-button start or leather seats, but you do get 249Nm of torque *2500rpm (highest torque from a base gasoline engine below P1.5M) and a host of safety features like 7-airbags (most standard airbags?), curve control (slows down the vehicle if you enter a turn too fast) and Ford's MyKey (which allows you to limit vehicle speeds and audio volume, useful safety feature for those who have beginner/teenage drivers in the family).
    SE models also come with 10-way power driver seat with lumbar adjust. Like most new Fords, it also has the voice actiavted SYNC system.

Ford Philippines hasn't published photos of the SE, but here's how it looks like.

It has 17 inch wheels instead of the Titanium's 19 inch wheels.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I know you're a big supporter of Fords AM, but this just doesn't cut it for me. But best to wait and see if this will be a success like the Fiesta or a failure like the Focus in the local market. 😊

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I know you're a big supporter of Fords AM, but this just doesn't cut it for me.
    It's not about being a supporter/ owner of a Ford. I'm just pointing out that they didn't skimp on areas that matter the most like its engine and its long list of safety features.
    Don't worry i'm not making you buy one. :D

In the Philippines, Ford is more known for SUVs and pickups, so there's a big chance this could do better than the Focus (in relation to their respective segments).
    Last edited by AG4; October 28th, 2014 at 10:29 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm not saying the Escape isn't well-equipped, I just feel that it isn't the standout that it takes to win the market over very fierce competition.

Aside from the other CUVs, the Escape competes with ladder-frame SUVs as well for the buyer's 1.5M.

The Forester is the country's best-selling CUV because it's got loads of passenger space that puts Monteros to shame (except it isn't a 7-seater). Also, Subaru is still a premium brand name locally, and even the 2.0i has enough features to make most happy.

The RAV4 sells because it's a Toyota and is also spacious with a premium interior, same with the CR-V. The CX-5 sells because of its toys and handling, plus Yojin3.

I haven't figured out what the Escape offers to convince buyers away from these great competitors.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    My forester XT is decidedly boring with its CVT. The shift logic in manual mode makes no sense to me. Its bleh. Maybe the traditional automatic of the turbo titanium edition of this escape will make the driving experience feel better.

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    I think the 1.6 Escape is actually quite good value, especially since it is loaded with quite a lot of safety features as per the brochure over at Uly's site.

It has 7 airbags as standard, and blind spot monitoring. Basically a lot of standard safety tech at the pricepoint which is I believe a better spec rather than your push button starts and smart key door entry feature.
    If has really good torque at more accessible rpm even for a 1.6 engine.
    And if it doesn't have a DCG transmission then that actually makes it a more enticing purchase. At least that removes a shuddering concern from the get go.

But reading on the brochure posted there, I wonder, why the 1.6 has active grille shutter but the 2.0 doesn't? Any thoughts as to why?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I haven't figured out what the Escape offers to convince buyers away from these great competitors.
    For me, I guess it would be the engine (highest torque for a base engine) and long list of safety features normally reserved for more expensive top-of-the-line-models.
    Other reasons? Maybe if the buyer already owns a Ford and has a good relationship with his/her Ford dealership. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    And if it doesn't have a DCG transmission then that actually makes it a more enticing purchase.
    All Escapes use a 6-speed SelectShift "torque converter" automatic.

The dual-clutch PowerShift for gasoline engines (dry-clutch) was not designed for high-torque engines.

Off-topic: Getrag is working on a smoother shifting wet-clutch PowerShift (6DCT150) for small gasoline engines.
    Last edited by AG4; October 28th, 2014 at 11:11 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    The Toyota RAV4 doesn't look that good, there's something not right with the design. Ford Escape 1.6 looks promising with 7 airbags and better fuel economy in city driving.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
2015 Ford Escape/Kuga