New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 281 of 285 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 2845
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnubla View Post
    I replaced the spark plugs this morning and the drive significantly improved!

Acceleration is better and more responsive.

However there are times.that i feel its still a little sluggish.

Not sure if im getting paranoid but normally should the RPM reach 2000 or should it only play around 1500? Sometimes during breaks or slow down i need to step on the gas more. The idling also moves, i mean i can see the needle shaking from time to time.
    At least, it is better now. The plugs may have been fowled already. Try doing an idle learn to put the idle rpm at is normal state. Check online on how to do it for the Ford Ecoboost 2.0L engines.

On a different note, you have to consider that you are driving a big SUV with a gas engine. Even though it is a turbocharged engine for which the peak torque starts below 2k rpm, you have to consider turbo lag. You need to rev it a bit (2k to 3k rpm) to get the feel of that pull from the turbocharged engine. Also, peak power of the engine is achieved only at 6k rpm.

If you are driving with the tachometer only within 2k rpm, you will be surely disappointed with the response of the engine. Ford's Ecoboost engines or any other turbo engines love to be revved high.
    Last edited by Egan101; May 18th, 2018 at 08:24 AM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Strange why the dealer did not diagnose properly considering it's just spark plugs ... they rely too much on the computer? ...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Strange why the dealer did not diagnose properly considering it's just spark plugs ... they rely too much on the computer? ...
    The spark plugs used on Ecoboost engines are of the long-life type and rated up to 100k miles.

Some local dealers insists on replacing them every 2 years or 40k km. My suggestion is to check them every 20k km after the first two years of use and replace them once they are found to be fouled-up already. The stock plugs on my Ecoboost 1.0L engine are still good at more than 50k km of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    So after going back to Ford to complain about the high mileage, they still don't see and cant find any problem.

Have already changed the oil 2x, replaced the oil and air filters, replaced the spark plugs, inspected the MAF, and inspected the cooling system. They said the fuel injection is also fine.

Basically the power is there but have to push the accelerator to 2000 - 3000 RPM to get the power, thus consuming more fuel.

Any other thoughts on the probable cause?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006

Basically the power is there but have to push the accelerator to 2000 - 3000 RPM to get the power, thus consuming more fuel.
    As mentioned before, you are driving a gas engine and you need to rev it a bit to get it going in a faster pace. You are lucky to have a turbo engine on that big truck so you only need to rev it at its turbo spool rpm range (2k-3k rpm) to have the peak torque available.

If you are driving a 4-banger NA engine, you need to rev it past 4k rpm to get the peak torque. It is a different story though if you are driving a big V6 or V8 engine as you have ample torque available at low rpms.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Did you check the turbo? ...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Did you check the turbo? ...
    Not yet.

Now i think its either the turbo or the throttle body.

How do i check if turbo is the problem?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Not yet.

Now i think its either the turbo or the throttle body.

How do i check if turbo is the problem?

Please have someone check the hoses and clamps going to the turbocharger. A loose clamp or broken hose causes a vacuum leak that impacts engine response at low rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will bring it to AutoCity this weekend. Crossing my fingers!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Finally was able to fix the problem today of the high RPM.

Apparently Ford Alabang didnt reset the PCM despite bringing it there twice.

Brought it to Autocity in Makati and the lead technician, Andie who came from Ford EDSA, did the diagnostics.

Now my RPM doesnt even reach 2000 and the engine is alot lighter.

Galing!!!

2012 New Ford Explorer