New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I'm seriously considering this new beast from Ford. But I'm torn between the limited
    edition and the ecoboost model. My priority is fuel efficiency against high tech toys.
    I can live without these explorer's toys in the limited edition.

But if the difference of fuel consumption between the limited and ecoboost models
    are not too far in actual metro manila city driving as well as highway driving, then
    I'll choose the limited edition.

Below are the info I need:

Limited/Ecoboost:
    City(Heavy Traffic): ??km/L
    City(Light/Sunday Morning Traffic): ??km/l
    Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX max 100 km/hr speed): ??km/L

Thanks in advance to lucky Explorer Owners.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Based from a review by Ulysses Ang at ************

************ - Philippine Car News, Test Drives and Prices: Review: 2012 Ford Explorer 2.0 EcoBoost GTDi

Ecoboost:
    City(Heavy Traffic): 5.95 km/L
    Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX ): 10.2km/L

Limited V6:
    City(Heavy Traffic): 5.68 km/L
    Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX ): 8.07km/L

If this would always be the case, I'd rather choose the toys laden V6 limited version over the ecoboost since i'll use this explorer most of the time in city traffic conditions.

There's also a possibility that the ecoboost unit used during this review was not yet "BREAK-IN(Not the factory one) and its city traffic mileage would improve later on

I'm expecting at least 6 to 7km/L for the ecoboost version in city traffic conditions and based from my own computation(daily route) I can save as much as 20,000 pesos in annual fuel consumption cost which I would spend instead for PMS.
    Last edited by lamborghinione; June 25th, 2012 at 01:24 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lamborghinione View Post
    Based from a review by Ulysses Ang at ************

************ - Philippine Car News, Test Drives and Prices: Review: 2012 Ford Explorer 2.0 EcoBoost GTDi

Ecoboost:
    City(Heavy Traffic): 5.95 km/L
    Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX ): 10.2km/L

Limited V6:
    City(Heavy Traffic): 5.68 km/L
    Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX ): 8.07km/L

If this would always be the case, I'd rather choose the toys laden V6 limited version over the ecoboost since i'll use this explorer most of the time in city traffic conditions.

There's also a possibility that the ecoboost unit used during this review was not yet "BREAK-IN(Not the factory one) and its city traffic mileage would improve later on

I'm expecting at least 6 to 7km/L for the ecoboost version in city traffic conditions and based from my own computation(daily route) I can save as much as 20,000 pesos in annual fuel consumption cost which I would spend instead for PMS.
    Get the V6. The Ecoboost struggles to accelerate especially if it is fully laden, and the FC suffers as well. Read our posts sa explorer thread

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by numbah5 View Post
    Get the V6. The Ecoboost struggles to accelerate especially if it is fully laden, and the FC suffers as well. Read our posts sa explorer thread
    Thanks for the info. I'm reading the explorer thread but I just want to keep track of the FC of limited vs ecoboost explorers. I think the 5.95 km/L FC of ecoboost might the be worsts FC in city traffic condition and the 5.68km/L for the limited version might be the best city traffic FC IMHO. I'll just use the explorer daily with me alone..

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lamborghinione View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm reading the explorer thread but I just want to keep track of the FC of limited vs ecoboost explorers. I think the 5.95 km/L FC of ecoboost might the be worsts FC in city traffic condition and the 5.68km/L for the limited version might be the best city traffic FC IMHO. I'll just use the explorer daily with me alone..
    It's one of the worst for the V6. The best city FC for the V6 would be 6.8 km/l. That's according to a friend who owns and drives one

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i have a limited
    city: 4-5km/l with heavy traffic
    nlex: 7-8km/l (speed:120-140kph)

haven't really driven the ecoboost but based on feedbacks the difference in FC isn't really that much.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    i have a limited
    city: 4-5km/l with heavy traffic
    nlex: 7-8km/l (speed:120-140kph)

haven't really driven the ecoboost but based on feedbacks the difference in FC isn't really that much.
    Thanks for sharing your information here foresterx and numbah5

Do you have FC info of your limited V6 for the following:

Highway(NLEX/SLEX/SCTEX max 100 km/hr speed): ??km/L

TIA
    Last edited by lamborghinione; June 26th, 2012 at 08:23 PM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    I own a 2013 ford ex limited. Built date is 05/12. So far since I've driven it: city 5-6 Kms per liter vs highway (combo of skyway, slex and daang
    maharlika) 6.25-6.5 Kms per liter. I haven't reached 1000 kilometers yet so my readings may not be accurate. The ex should be able to hit 7-8 kms per liter for highway/cruise driving.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Just to share my actual fuel consumption of my Ford Explorer 2013 4x4 Limited, city driving if RPM wil not go over 2.5 you'll have an FC of 5.5-6/L, on Highway 100-120 Kph, 7.5-8/L but highly recommended to use the adaptive cruise control. Overall for a V6 engine at 3.5L, it's still a good one.

2012/2013 Ford Explorer Actual Fuel Consumption