New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2005

This is an interesting pick-up. I feel its underrated. Yes, it feels a bit ancient sitting inside it. Steel metal body sheet is tough. Tap it around and it doesn't have that hollow sound and feel like the Hilux. The back passenger compartment is a bit cramped for me and I don't know why Ford did not include grab handles for easier ingress and egress. This is the only 4x2 pickup with LSD!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    I was actually considering this (Wildtrak version) and the D-max. I got feedback that its got a good engine. Any feedback on its reliability?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    diba may LSD yung strada at navara?

Hmmm. The engine is basically the same WL block, modified to take a CRDi system. Possible problems would arise from the high pressure injectors, which might need replacement at around 100,000-150,000 km (which is projected to be the same as systems used by other manufacturers)

However, there had been isolated cases of cylinder head cracking in the non-crdi turbocharged WL-T. Not sure about the TDCi, though.

Certain parts should be available aplenty, since the underchassis is basically the same as the one introduced in 1999.

4. Join Date
    May 2005
    LSD on the others like Navara is for 4x4 variants only. Ranger is unique for being the only 4x2 equipped with LSD.

So basically, except for the body (came out in 2007), most of the underbody parts date way back in 1999? Engine is only modified or converetd to CRDi?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    LSD on the others like Navara is for 4x4 variants only. Ranger is unique for being the only 4x2 equipped with LSD.

So basically, except for the body (came out in 2007), most of the underbody parts date way back in 1999? Engine is only modified or converetd to CRDi?
    the engine block has the same WL designation, and it looks similar under the plastic. Not really surprising, since the 4D56 block was also used for the grand starex (and the strada? or 4M40-derived ba yung sa strada)

The ranger/everest has retained the front double wishbone/rear leaf sprung configuration from the 1999 variant. I've seen a jacked up 4x2 2006 ranger, and the underchassis does look familiar .

I'm not sure for the 4x4 versions though.

EDIT: even the interior space (especially the rear, with the upright seating) is the same with the 1999 model. ford should really consider revamping the cabin size in the ranger.
    Last edited by scharnhorst; October 23rd, 2009 at 06:33 PM.

2009 Ford Ranger Discussion