New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    while waiting for PHDM official review. . . eto muna yung AutoExpress Review.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ford Focus Powershift
    Ford joins the hi-tech dual-clutch automatic gearbox brigade with its Powershift-equipped Focus.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...owershift.html
    It's all change at Ford! Not only has the firm facelifted its top-selling Focus, but it’s also launched a flagship diesel version of the family hatch fitted with an innovative automatic gearbox.

The six-speeder is called Powershift, and is a rival to the likes of the Volkswagen DSG. Linked to a diesel engine, it’s being hailed for the environmental and financial advantages it provides over a conventional automatic box.

Powershift works by operating two clutches in parallel: one handles the odd gears (one, three and five), and the other even ratios (two, four and six). This allows the transmission to pre-select the upcoming gear, meaning a smooth, almost instant change, with no loss of torque in each shift.

On paper, the newcomer certainly looks promising. It delivers 320Nm of torque to the front wheels from only 2,000rpm, while a further 20Nm is available thanks to a temporary over-boost function. That’s enough to see the 134bhp Focus Powershift complete the sprint from 0-62mph in 9.6 seconds, while averaging economy of 48.6mpg on the combined cycle and emitting 154g/km of CO2.

Its vital statistics aren’t quite as strong as those of a standard manual Focus – which has a 9.4-second sprint time, returns 50.4mpg and puts out only 147g/km. However, the differences are negligible, which is pretty impressive for an automatic model.

The Powershift transmission is currently only available with this 134bhp 2.0-litre TDCi diesel and the less powerful 108bhp variant, and can be specified solely in the hatchback version of the Focus, as well as the C-MAX compact MPV. However, Ford tells us the set-up will be rolled out to other cars in the range before long.

On the road, it behaves similarly to a conventional auto – albeit a very good one – changing between gears quickly and smoothly. But the system really comes into its own under acceleration, gliding from ratio to ratio with impressive speed and accuracy.

Even when shifting down we were unable to catch it out. The box always selected the most appropriate gear without any hesitation or jerkiness.

Adding to the appeal is an intuitive manual mode, for drivers who want greater involvement. A red light on the Focus’s rev counter indicates the optimum time to change gear, and you simply pull the lever back to shift up. It’s easier to operate than DSG, which uses the stick the opposite way.

But there are no steering wheel-mounted paddleshifters with which to change up or down – and no Sport mode on the box, either – as Ford is keen to stress the gains in economy and emissions offered by Powershift, rather than its outright sportiness. Still, neither of these features is really necessary, because the lever is likely to spend most of its time in ‘D’, allowing the auto to make the most of the engine’s relaxed, torquey nature.

The combination of the clever new gearbox and punchy diesel performance with the Focus’s class-leading driving dynamics makes the Power-shift model a compelling package. But buyers pay for the privilege. The five-door Titanium-spec model we drove costs in excess of £20,000 – that’s more than the latest range-topping Focus ST.

So, we’re reassured to hear that in time Ford will make Powershift more widely available on cheaper, entry-level models. Now that really will be a change for the better.

Rival: VW Golf 2.0 TDI DSG
    GERMAN giant led the way by filtering its dual-clutch technology down from performance versions of the Golf to lesser models such as the 2.0-litre TDI diesel. And the six-speed DSG transmission continues to set the benchmark by which rival systems are judged.

FIRST OPINION Ford’s first attempt at a dual-clutch transmission has come late, but perhaps all that extra development time has paid off – because the Focus Powershift is a truly impressive effort. By combining the point-and-go ease of a traditional automatic box with the performance, fuel economy and emissions of a manual, many will find the Powershift the perfect fit. The only drawbacks are the lack of a Sport mode – and that price!

AT A GLANCE
    Price: £20,050
    Engine: 2.0-litre 4cyl diesel
    Power: 134bhp
    Torque: 320Nm (340Nm with overboost facility)
    Transmission: Six-speed sequential auto, front-wheel drive
    0-60mph: 9.6 seconds
    Economy: 48.6mpg
    CO2: 154g/km
    Standard equipment: Air-con, 16-inch alloys, rear privacy glass, auto headlights and wipers

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    ...and here's the RP spec Focus TDCi Powershift.

-www.motioncars.com

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    ...and here's the RP spec Focus TDCi Powershift.
    -www.motioncars.com
    ser AG4 any hi-res photo? if have pa post naman ng link please...
    really interested on the PHDM...

btw, may USB jack na ba for the stereo?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM View Post
    ser AG4 any hi-res photo? if have pa post naman ng link please...
    really interested on the PHDM...

btw, may USB jack na ba for the stereo?
    I'm not too sure, but based on the description, it appears to be using the same standard auxillary audio jack in the glovebox for MP3 player.
    It also says "MP3" on the stereo, so I guess it can play MP3 files now.

I wasn't able to go, but here's the link to the Motioncars first drive/review of the new Focus TDCi Powershift.
    http://www.motioncars.com/front/10.30.2008_01/index.htm
    Last edited by AG4; October 31st, 2008 at 01:21 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    I'm not too sure, but based on the description, it appears to be using the same standard auxillary audio jack in the glovebox for MP3 player.
    It also says "MP3" on the stereo, so I guess it can play MP3 files now.

I wasn't able to go, but here's the link to the Motioncars first drive/review of the new Focus TDCi Powershift.
    http://www.motioncars.com/front/10.30.2008_01/index.htm
    ser AG4, i've read their article. too bad no mention at all about the stereo... sana naman meron na. pero mukhang malabo dahil yung aux-in line daw eh nasa Glove Box. di tulad nung sa ibang release like here in China magkatabi ang Aux-in & USB jack sa
    pix 1: Car Stereo (see the USB sign?)

pix 2: see USB jack & Aux-in (inside arm rest)...

another thing i don't like. mas - pumangit 'tong bagong 16" mags...anyway at least yan ang isa sa mga pinaka-madaling palitan....

how about headlamps for the low beam. may HID na ba? kung sabagay madali din lang palitan....

at least may PowerShift (6A/T) na saka rear vents na uli ang a/c.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    According to our S.A in Ford Balintawak.. The New Focus will be launched in Nov. 15..

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    ba't ang konti / hina ng response fm. the guys...not many people seems to be not interested in this new car???

i think its wrong to underestimate Ford this time.... they are offering leading edge / technologically advanced powertrain. esp. this highly desirable 6Speed PowerShift. imagine the efficiency & acceleration of a Manual Tranny (well almost about 97% hehe) and the convenience of Auto Tranny!!

this car rocks. i want one, no i need two. haha.

so is Ford offering zero (0)% interest for this model?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    oo nga pancin ko din.. wala ganong nag rresponse dito sa thread ng focus.. I really WANT the focus, fuel efficient and at the same time has the power.. un ngalang e medyo mahal kasi ng price nla.. pero i think worth it nman.. and I dont think na mag lalabas ng 0 interest ang ford...

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    I am also planning to check the new Focus. I am already considering CIVIC 1.8S but wanna check this out first. Available na daw sa showroom ng The Fort. Would appreciate more comments. Could it be better than Civic?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dm11 View Post
    I am also planning to check the new Focus. I am already considering CIVIC 1.8S but wanna check this out first. Available na daw sa showroom ng The Fort. Would appreciate more comments. Could it be better than Civic?

ser DM11, oo this car is worth every Peso...in fact i dare say its value for money. ang presyo nito sa UK ay 20K Euros. in todays conversion that's around Php1.3M. but we can get our hands on it for just 1.1M. (though we're losing the sunroof and projector lamps ....) it doesn't matter. all the good stuff are left inside.....

in terms of styling i would say its a wash- beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Civic ain't bad..this new Focus is a sharp looking beast too.

its combination of Performance & Fuel Economy Blow's everything in the COMPACT CAR Segment, even the Civic's 1.8 would seem like a gas guzzler compared side to side with this thrifty diesel.

in the power department. Civic has got 140hp vs. Focus' 136hp....but once u drive it...u would soon realize that actually the TORQUE Monster Focus is the easiest one to drive - Fast. as u don't have to REV' the hell out of it to get it moving....
    TORQUE : Civic's 17Kg-m vs. Focus's 34Kg-m (wow DOUBLE! PULLING POWER!).

in terms of practicality it has a very wide opening hatch. (can't do that on a Sedan Civic)...also its seats are split and folding type. (Civic's only got Fixed rear seats - a nod on cost savings)...

HHHHM PRICING:
    Civic 1.8S Php 899,000.00 vs. Focus' TDCi Php1,154M (Diff of around Php250K). think of it as a bargain BMW, then it won't matter. if u keep the car for 5years or more, then its nothing. its Worth every money!

Refinement: truth be told....with the same 16" tires... i find the Civic to be extremely noisy....too much road noise infiltrates the cabin compared to the hush Focus' for years i've put up with my Civic ESi... not anymore i want Euro type Refinement in my car.

only small irritation is if U HAVE A SIX FOOTER DRIVING IN FRONT AND ANOTHER SEATING IN Back.... here its where u might see some shortness of leg space compared to the Civic's.

so am i going to buy one ? u betcha...just waiting for the right time. haha.
    Hey Ford,,, can i avail a 1 or 2 year zero interest? please PM me, hahaha!

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
2008 Ford Focus (euro version) major facelift