New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I rarely drink coffee at home. I always put brewed coffee on a starbucks stainless steel tumbler and bring it to the office. Then one time I had guests at home and they wanted coffee, so I poured them and myself coffee on ceramic cups, put on my usual creamer and sugar mix, and I felt it tasted different. It tasted better.

Anybody noticed this too?

Now I want to find out if there's also difference in taste if using paper cups.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Definitely! I carry around a stainless Thermos with me only because it holds the temperature of the water. I don't use any other liquid for it.

I avoid drinking anything served in plastic or paper. More than the taste, I don't like the thought of my drink absorbing the properties of plastic or water.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Technically, it's not much the taste, rather, it alters the smell of your beverage as you drink it. Some materials readily reacts to hot water and starts to reek whatever chemical it has on its porous surface. And since our sense of smell is very much connected to our sense of taste, hence the perception that it tastes different.

Ceramic or porcelain doesn't have this problem.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I guess it's time to look for a ceramic tumbler. Is there one?
    Signature

5. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I've seen ceramic coffee tumblers with silicone lid at Landmark. It does not look spill proof though. I'm sure there are more expensive brands that you can travel with, I just don't know where to buy.

This is what they have at Landmark:

Last edited by _Cathy_; August 4th, 2014 at 01:25 AM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Office and home - ceramic for me.

Coffee shops,- paper cups...

OT:
    "Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup. Drink it up."

“Familiarity breeds awe”
    23.9K:thud:

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Maybe the cup had previous "tastes" left in it in the army specially out in the field you use you government issued(G.I.) canteen cup. Coffee tastes great after a night out in the snow. It is all subjective to describe the taste. Give the same coffee in the same canteen cup made from the same stainless steel to a spoiled French gay guy and you will have a different feedback

Posted through phlpost.gov.ph

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    OT:
    "Love the girl who holds the world in a paper cup. Drink it up."

...and a bit of ot also as this made me smile...love old kenny loggins songs including this one from Danny's Song...

Coffee tastes better on ceramic cups than on steel mugs