Sep 2003

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    In

Sent from my FL02 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Tizon accused of lying about Lola's obituary

Why the obituary for Eudocia Tomas Pulido didn’t tell the story of her life in slavery | The Seattle Times

Obituaries depend on the fundamental honesty of the people who survive to tell the story. Tizon lied to me, and through me, to our readers, depriving Ms. Pulido of the truth of her life, and the rest of us an important piece of our history. And for that I am truly sorry.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Anybody read the article yet?

A Story of Slavery in Modern America - The Atlantic

EDIT: Fixed link

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    I did, although I read in in my smartphone, so medyo nahirapan akong basahin. Couldn't help but feel that heaviness on my chest at about the mid-part, until I couldn't contain it anymore and shed a few manly tears.

Didn't know it was trending na pala. Sad that the author died before it got published, but also lucky for us and The Atlantic that at least everything is ready for publication when he did.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    i mean as a means to exact justice. she can give the money away to her relatives, which in fact was what she did with he $200 allowance.
    I really don't think vindication was on Lola's mind. As the author pointed out, she could've easily made Mrs. Tizon's life miserable in her later, sickly years. Instead, she even stepped up her service and acted as the mother she never had.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Got to read it a few days ago. It leaves heavy emotions and a lot of questions to ponder on. When you look at it, the story of Lola spans generations where the world has gone through a large cultural change, and the progress in how the next generations of the family treated her also somewhat reflects society in a whole.

She came into life with the Tizons (particularly the mom and the grandfather) within an era where class relations were such (the haciendero and the lowly farmer) and this progressed to a society and age where social awareness increased and becomes more of value. It's hard to blame the mother in one sense that she grew up with that kind of feudal mindset and it is indeed a struggle for her to grasp what the children were trying to imbibe and bring across. The children reflect the struggle to overcome and change, and could only fully do so in later years.

I find some western reactions amusing in a sense that they are aghast on how she was treated but when you run a parallelism to America at the time (1950s to 1960s) they too were in the midst of overcoming cultural barriers (the era of Martin Luther King, the Vietnam war, etc.). Also, looking at the hardships of the farmers in the province, sometimes one too will wonder if perhaps she was indeed better off under her circumstances of ending up caring for the family of the author.

One thing though, i miss having a kasambahay or househelp with that had that kind of devotion to a family. I grew up with such and nowadays they are indeed a rare breed.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    The Atlantic's 'My Family's Slave' should not end with a feast

Some people say it is for Tizon to write this story in any way he wanted, that this was his memoir, his tale to tell. If so, then let his editorial choices speak of his intentions.

Perhaps the latter part of the story where he describes Lola's happy last years is his way of asking for forgiveness. Forgiveness from himself, or from Lola, or from Lola's relatives who now have to confront what I could only imagine is a turbulence of emotions having to read what became of Lola's life in the Land of the Free.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I find it ironic that people are now complaining about the lack of dignity in the life that Lola lived, yet in the same breath do not even want to give dignity to the other Filipinos victimized by the drug war, capitalist exploitation, and poverty in general.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I find it ironic that people are now complaining about the lack of dignity in the life that Lola lived, yet in the same breath do not even want to give dignity to the other Filipinos victimized by the drug war, capitalist exploitation, and poverty in general.
    I wouldn't say I envied them. But, the squatter kids were my only playmates during my first year there. They were the only kids who were active outside. The kids whose parents had decent means tended to stay indoors and unlike here, I couldn't just drop by and say hello. Their houses were like prisons with all the bars and locks. I sometimes wondered what the heck was inside their homes that made it worth staying indoors all day. I couldn't live that kind of life as a kid. In the absence of diversions such as video games and computers, I had to be outside either roaming around or engaged in some sports activity.

Eventually, I found out there are two different worlds in the PH and the "better" world wasn't the more honest of the two.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 19th, 2017 at 04:56 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I am appalled that people like this still exist, I wonder why the 2 stay ins couldn't fight back? Is it because 3 men against 2? I also wonder if they have female helpers

Family of 3 arrested for beating 2 workers | Philstar.com

MANILA, Philippines — A couple, their son and their family driver were arrested at their home in Barangay BF Homes, Parañaque on Thursday for allegedly beating up two stay-in workers.

Juan Vanguardia, 37, told police he was able to escape from the house of Ethan Besas, 49. He was accompanied by one of the security guards of Tahanan Village when he filed a complaint, according to a spot report from the Southern Police District (SPD).

“I was hit on the head with a hammer. I still have lumps on the back of my head. I was beaten with a belt and they wanted to cut off my tongue so I would not be able to talk,” Vanguardia said in Filipino, according to a News5 report.

His fellow worker, Venzar delos Reyes, 22, was rescued by police officers at Besas’ house.

“They have been beating me for a month. They wound a charger cable around my neck, used a cutter on me, hit me with pliers,” Delos Reyes said in the News5 report.

He also accused Besas and his son, Mariano, 23, of punching him repeatedly.

The two workers alleged that Besas and his family illegally detained them in the house and that Besas and his son beat them while Besas’ wife, Maila, 47, took videos.

Aside from Besas and Mariano, police also arrested Maila and family driver Michael Auguis, 24, who reportedly acted as a lookout.

The two workers said they have been employed by the Besas family as window installers for six months. They took the stay-in job after being promised good pay and lodging.

Vanguardia said they tried to escape last Tuesday but were caught. He said they were brought to the police to strike fear into them.

BF Homes police substation commander Maj. Melvin Florida said the workers were placed under arrest after their employer reported them for theft. The employer later withdrew the complaint against them, he said.

“It turned out they were being detained, beaten up,” Florida added.

The SPD said Besas, his family and driver – who face charges of serious illegal detention with physical injuries – are being held at the Parañaque custodial facility. The Besas family denied the allegations against them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast