New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    10w-40 instead of 10w-30, masama ba sa makina? vvti engine.

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    Usually more important than what kind of oil you use between the two are that you are changing it (and the filter) regularly. 10w-30 oil is good in any car or truck, its the one most recommended.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    what viscosity do you suggest for a 1990XL5 corolla?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lhie View Post
    what viscosity do you suggest for a 1990XL5 corolla?
    for a 10+yr car...10w40 will do.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Thank you Sir for the suggestion, ask ko lng po kung ano difference ng 20w50 at 10w40, i called up speedyfix kung ano ang pede sa car ko and they recommended ung 20w50.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lhie View Post
    Thank you Sir for the suggestion, ask ko lng po kung ano difference ng 20w50 at 10w40, i called up speedyfix kung ano ang pede sa car ko and they recommended ung 20w50.
    http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by puroy View Post
    for a 10+yr car...10w40 will do.
    ...Hmmm, for some yep, but for most vehicles (especially with higher mileage) is no longer recommended ...especially for a 1990 Corolla (w/c is 18 years old already like lhie), so 20w-50 will do the best.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    thank you po, nagpa change oil ako kahapon kay speedyfix and ung 20w-50 ung pinalagay ko... sabi ng bro ko parang naging smooth ung takbo.. ewan ko lang baka psychological lang.. hehehe pero observe ko pa in a few days pa kung may impact sa fuel consumption.. again salamat po sa lahat

9. Join Date
    May 2007
    You shouldnt, that is horrible advise. 20w50 is a very thick oil and your engine will have to work extra hard to pump that stuff and get it flowing especially if it gets cold where you live. you should stick with 10w30, 5w30 or 10w-40 depending on the car and engine. Dont let mileage scare you into thinking you need a different type of oil. Most people that use 20w50 either burn a ton of oil or leak it and the thickness will lesson both of those but it is very hard on the engine.

Is your oil pressure low? Engine making noise? Burning and or leaking oil at a high rate?
    If no..... use what you've been using..
    20w-50 is reserved for engines on they're last or racing engines with very loose clearances.
    20w-50 also shears down to a 40 weight after a couple thousand miles anyway..
    shearing oil may leave deposits.

Think about it!!!!!!!!

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    sometimes pagnapalit ka into thicker oil FC would increase.

based on my expirence on our 2005 altis 1zzfe vvt-i nag try ako ng 5w-40

and anong nangyari?

lumala ang FC from average of 8.2km/L bumaba into 4.2 to 5km/L.

mas hirap ang engne, malakas ang FC and pangit ang takbo.

ngayon nagpalit ako ng oil and i used royal purple 5w-30 and the FC is back on 8+ again..

minsan mas mapapagastos kapa pag gumamit ka ng thicker oil not heavier oil due to increase in FC rather than using a thin oil and kung leak man, dagdagan mo nalang parati. i think mas cheaper ang labas ng ganito rather than using thick oil.

hindi pa hirap umandar ang makina mo.

im using 5w-30 Royal Purple both on our 4jx1 and 1zzfe.

IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
wrong oil viscosity, bad?