New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee
    the cyclone was a a very tricked out truck back in the early 90s but if its american turbo cars were talkin here..who can forget the GNX.thats one mean V6 with a turbo from buick

the last of its kind.the buick GNX547
    That reminds me...
    GM's current American turbocharged models...
    These use the LNF ECOTEC engines.
    Unlike Opel's turbocharged ECOTEC engine, the LNF has a twin-scroll turbocharger, gasoline direct injection, VVT on both intake and exhaust, sodium-filled valves, oil-cooled low-friction cast pistons.

Pontiac Solstice GXP

Saturn Sky redline

2008 Chevy HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    Pontiac Grand Prix - turbo 4 to V6/supercharged V6
    Ford Probe GT - turbo 4 to V6
    Chrysler Lebaron - turbo 4 to V6
    VW Corrado - turbo 4 to V6
    Mitsubishi Eclipse- turbo 4 to V6
    Pontiac Grand Prix: The latest top Grand Prix is powered by a V8, same goes for the upcoming G8... traditionally performance Pontiacs had V8s, so they are returning the V8 option for their large cars(muscel car revival?).

VW Corrado: The Corrado's spiritual replacement, the upcoming all-new Scirocco(based on the IROC concept) is expected to have turbocharged engines in its lineup.
    Other VW Group cars... the Audi S3(sportiest model of the A3 range) has a turbocharged inline-4, one of the reasons they did not use a V6 was to cut down on weight since it is a performance hatchback.

Mitsubishi Eclipse: The new Eclipse is US developed just like the new Galant. This explains why it uses engines/mechanicals from the USDM Galant range. This means no AWD and no turbocharged inline-4, aside from this the Eclipse has grown much heavier than the compact gen 1 and gen 2 Japanese developed Eclipse models.
    Last edited by AG4; July 30th, 2007 at 05:41 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Pontiac Solstice GXP
    I have to admit, the Solstice is a very attractive car. I like the clean lines better than the Sky.

Pontiac Grand Prix: The top Grand Prix now is powered by a V8, same goes for the upcoming G8... traditionally performance Pontiacs had V8s, so they are returning to V8s for their large cars.

VW Corrado: The Corrado's spiritual replacement, the upcoming all-new Scirocco(based on the IROC concept) is expected to have turbocharged engines.
    So, it looks like these 2 cars have gone full-circle and back to their roots.

: The new Eclipse is US developed just like the new Galant. This explains why it uses engines/mechanicals from the USDM Galant range. This means no AWD and no turbocharged inline-4, aside from that the car has grown much heavier than the compact Japanese developed Eclipse.
    Interesting. I thought the 1G Eclipse (including my Plymouth Laser) was jointly developed by Mitsubishi and Chrysler. I guess it must've been under license then. But, I certainly know about the weight...... My FWD turbo Laser barely weighed 2800lbs with a full tank of gas vs the AWD Talon/Eclipse which was almost 300 lbs heavier. Even for a front-driver, it was a great-handling car with good hp to weight ratio.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; July 30th, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Interesting. I thought the 1G Eclipse (including my Plymouth Laser) was jointly developed by Mitsubishi and Chrysler. I guess it must've been under license then.
    Its a joint venture with Chrysler(it had chrysler badged versions) but it was really more of a shortened Galant platform wrapped in a sleek coupe body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    But, I certainly know about the weight......My FWD turbo Laser barely weighed 2800lbs with a full tank of gas vs the AWD Talon/Eclipse which was almost 300 lbs heavier. Even for a front-driver, it was a great-handling car with good hp to weight ratio.
    Being light, thats what many miss about the Eclipse.
    The 1st gen Eclipse GSX(AWD Turbo) has a curb weight of 3108 lbs for the manual and 3186 lbs for the automatic.
    The FWD GS Turbo had a curb weight of 2745 lbs

The current FWD Eclipse GT with a 3.8 liter V6 has a curb weight of 3472 lbs for the manual and 3538 lbs for the automatic.
    For comparison, the larger RWD V8 Mustang GT has a curb weight of 3483 lbs.

The new gen Eclipse is actually closer to the 3000GT(aka GTO in Japan) in terms of weight and size.

early 90's 3000GT

2007 Eclipse GT

The 3000GT was powered by NA V6 and V6 Turbo engines and was available with AWD.
    Like its small brother, it also had Chrysler badged versions.
    Last edited by AG4; July 30th, 2007 at 08:38 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It was called the Dodge Stealth IIRC. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    ung vtec thing afaik only shuts down cylinders at high cruising speeds, di ba?
    OT: Baliktad bro, it shuts down 3 cylinders at certain slow speed (i.e. traffic running no more than 40kph ata). This is the Engine Management System equipped on a V6 Accord in US, Hybrid pa nga ata 'to eh, not sure though! Ewan ko kung eto yung minemention mo, correct me if wrong nalang!

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Those cylinder deactivation thingies (in whatever name) shut down cylinders during light load situations (cruising, slow traffic, etc.)

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The effect of cylinder shutdown on fuel consumption depends a lot on the conditions and the logic of the controller... some early MDS systems didn't have a big effect in real-world driving.

-----

Modern turbos are quite something compared to old ones. Less friction (the disco potato feels like it's suspended by magnets... it spins like crazy!), Variable Geometry Turbine technology, better electronic controls. Better design, so you don't get the oil coking problems of old.

A lot of new turbo engines don't "feel" like a turbo. The rush is smooth, not sudden, and you don't have all those pops and whistles of yesteryear.

Just spent all weekend thrashing a turbo car, and it sounded and felt just like a big NA car... hehehe...

But somehow... it doesn't quite have the romance of an old-school system... dum-dee-dum-dum... (boost ramp up!) OhMySweetJesusThisIsFast!!!!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    imho, ang masama nga lang pag bigger engine, at idle, it still drinks up more fuel.

di ko lang sure if there's any existing engine/engine management system that addresses that. ung vtec thing afaik only shuts down cylinders at high cruising speeds, di ba?
    AFAIK, vtec doesn't enable/disable cylinders -- it opens extra valves at high revs. So at low revs, the car is actually using 8 and only engages the other 8 when the revs get high enough.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Turbos still has a certain appeal which is why I'm trying to keep my Laser within the family. I rather sign it over free to a relative than sell it to a stranger.

Anyway, a turbocharged engine is as valid as a N/A or supercharged engine. So long as people know what it means to own a turbo car then, there's no problem. Since most turbo car owners tend to be enthusiasts, maintenance costs are well...... irrelevant is the wrong word. Bah. it's too early in the morning to think......
    Right now, if I was still single and lived in an apartment or condo, I'd probably have a turbo car of some sort in the parking lot. That turbocharged Pontiac Solstice looks mighty appealing. Also, I still long for a GMC Syclone. If I can find one in good shape.

http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/gm/9192gmcs.htm

Add: Subaru's probably the only company that have turbocharged cars right with its 2.5L turbo 4.

2.5L is pretty big for a 4-cylinder. Most other turbocharged cars have 2.0L or less. Maybe that extra 0.5L makes a difference.

That's precisely my car -- that's why I started the thread. Pero kung siya lang ang durable turbo, I guess that answers my question.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The effect of cylinder shutdown on fuel consumption depends a lot on the conditions and the logic of the controller... some early MDS systems didn't have a big effect in real-world driving.

-----

Modern turbos are quite something compared to old ones. Less friction (the disco potato feels like it's suspended by magnets... it spins like crazy!), Variable Geometry Turbine technology, better electronic controls. Better design, so you don't get the oil coking problems of old.

A lot of new turbo engines don't "feel" like a turbo. The rush is smooth, not sudden, and you don't have all those pops and whistles of yesteryear.

Just spent all weekend thrashing a turbo car, and it sounded and felt just like a big NA car... hehehe...

But somehow... it doesn't quite have the romance of an old-school system... dum-dee-dum-dum... (boost ramp up!) OhMySweetJesusThisIsFast!!!!

Yep, yep. So I'm hoping they develop to the point that companies adopt them over bigger displacement if only just for the efficiency gain. I guess durability is all they have to demonstrate, then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Why all the Big NA Engines?