New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    My mistake, older LM cars have 'em.
    I think one team experimented with a boxer 12 in F1 before... di lang naging successful... and again... the packaging was problematic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    I agree with niky, especially on the first line.

And just to pick my choice (but not necessary an answer to TS), I select flat because it's not common at yun ang binabayaran, he he (although madami na ang subarista dito sa Pinas).

All engine configurations are good since they are designed to meet some requirements and these vary from one configuration to another.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ramledi View Post
    for me i'd go for v-type because as far as i know it gives better torque. correct me if i'm wrong

the more torque you have the more load/weight you can put in the vehicle
    Agree pag V type engine mo mas malakas ang Torque. Pero sa rekta mas mahina iyon pagkakaalam ko parang ubos power agad niya .Pero kung rear wheel drive may paraan pa naman change gearing.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    each has its pro and cons. inlines have durable blocks, Vees are more compact, flats are flat. Torque is dependent on fuel type, displacement specifically stroke etc.

Inlines are commonly found in economy cars, buses, trains etc. Vees are used in performance cars gt-r,F1 etc. Boxers in porsche, subaru, old volkwagen models, and many light aircrafts( subaru ej20/ej25). Wankels in mazdas rx- series.

i like boxer powered cars porsche, subaru, volks. parang yun pic ng aso sa taas. pangit itsura pero iba tindig. tsaka lovable,loyal and dependable. pero minsan nangangagat din

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post
    Agree pag V type engine mo mas malakas ang Torque. Pero sa rekta mas mahina iyon pagkakaalam ko parang ubos power agad niya .Pero kung rear wheel drive may paraan pa naman change gearing.
    i've never seen a v-type engine na lower than 5.0L. The hatak you mentioned could be because of this rather than the engine/piston config.

going back to the rotary, i think it's one of the more efficient engines ever built. Ewan ko lang sa serviceability, but i think the 1.3L rotary (on the mazda RX-8) produces something like 130hp ? Unheard of in an inline 1.3L
    Last edited by badkuk; October 1st, 2009 at 01:32 PM.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    each has its pro and cons. inlines have durable blocks, Vees are more compact, flats are flat. Torque is dependent on fuel type, displacement specifically stroke etc.

Inlines are commonly found in economy cars, buses, trains etc. Vees are used in performance cars gt-r,F1 etc. Boxers in porsche, subaru, old volkwagen models, and many light aircrafts( subaru ej20/ej25). Wankels in mazdas rx- series.

i like boxer powered cars porsche, subaru, volks. parang yun pic ng aso sa taas. pangit itsura pero iba tindig. tsaka lovable,loyal and dependable. pero minsan nangangagat din
    I love the analogy Mahal din ba yang boxer doggy mo pag nagkasakit?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i've never seen a v-type engine na lower than 5.0L. The hatak you mentioned could be because of this rather than the engine/piston config.

going back to the rotary, i think it's one of the more efficient engines ever built. Ewan ko lang sa serviceability, but i think the 1.3L rotary (on the mazda RX-8) produces something like 130hp ? Unheard of in an inline 1.3L
    I had a Mazda MX-3 GS with a 1.8L V6, Mazda Millenia witha 2.5L V-6, Dodge Magnum 2.7L V-6, and a Nissan Xterra with a 4.0L V6 all those are under 5.0L. As far as the rotary engine the displacement is misleading because it's a rotary and the 1.3L is the equivalent of almost 3.0L piston engine.

Horsepower and torque are determined more by the bore and stroke of the engine rather than the configuration of the engine. You can make an engine have more horsepower than torque or one with more torque than horsepower depending on the bore and stroke of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by speed unlimited View Post

Engines mentioned above revved quite well the 1.8L would go up to 8500rpm 130hp/115 lb ft, 2.5L 170hp/160 lb ft(6000rpm), 2.7L 190hp/190lb ft(6500rpm), and 4.0L 265hp/284lb ft(6000 rpm). Those don't look like engines that run out of breath. Two are FWD and two are RWD. The 1.8L was a manual and compared by one of my friends that rides a sportbike to his motorcycle engine in the speed it goes up the RPM range. The others AT and the 2.7L will not shift until 6500rpm if you mash the pedal.

The best and smoothest engines are an inline 6 engine according to a book I read and the next would be the inline 12 because somehow the amount of cylinders are enough that each cancel the vibration during the combustion cycle. Personally I don't like any inline 4 engine over 2.0L because it has a tendency not be as smooth and the ideal would be 1.8L with that configuration.
    Last edited by redorange; October 1st, 2009 at 02:04 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... that's why BMW uses inline sixes... again... wonderful engines, those.

-

Vees don't have inherently more torque than inlines.

Compare two engines of the same size and horsepower... the Mitsubishi FTO 2.0 V6 and the Honda K20... the Honda K20 has more torque at the same horsepower... just because it's better, with a longer stroke and more efficient head... not because of the layout. (in fact the way the K20 can make such high revs with a relatively long stroke never ceases to fascinate me).

-

Interesting to note... the highest specific output (meaning: horsepower per liter) for road-legal vehicles available from a major manufacturer, are about 120 hp per liter on the 240 hp Civic Mugen Type RR (for naturally aspirated engines) and 200+ hp per liter on the 400 hp Mitsubishi Evo FQ400 (for turbo). Both are only limited editions (Mugen RR in Japan only... FQ400 in the UK only) but they come with full warranties.

And they're both inline fours.
    Last edited by niky; October 1st, 2009 at 04:56 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I love the analogy Mahal din ba yang boxer doggy mo pag nagkasakit?

bihira sya sir magkasakit kumpleto sa bakuna

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I think the hp per liter measurement for NA engines is easier to achieve with the smaller displacement engines than the bigger displacement. Because a 5.0L engine would need to make 600hp just to make that same 120 per liter, that (5.0L)wouldn't work with a 4 cylinder as it would need bigger cylinders and pistons so it would have to be a V8 and it would mean more reciprocating parts. Also the high hp per liter engines make most of their power in the upper rpm range and having high displacement 4 cylinder would make that less likely because of the vibration it would have at high rpm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast