New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm a newbie in car (gas engine) engine

What is the sound of engine knock of a gas engine? Parang bang diesel engine ang tunog?
    What is the symptom of engine knock and causes?

Ano naman ung sinasabing "timing" (distributor?). Kapag mali ang timing (advance/retard) ano ang epekto sa gas engine? May epeckto ba ang maling timing sa engine knock?

Natu-tuneup ba ang efi car or mga sensor na nya ang bahala dito?
    salamat po.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Engine knock or "katok" sounds like, well, like a "katok", as in your connecting rod bearing goes south. Yon sound ng diesel is more of a "clacker" which is normal. Knock can also happen if you use a fuel with a low octane rating or with the wrong timing. Although this is not serious as in what they call as "may katok".

Timing is when you adjust the firing of the sparkplug when your piston is at top dead center (TDC). You do this by aligning the timing mark at you pulley to the one on the engine with the use of a timing gun (engine running)or a simple bulb (engine stop) with a absence of a gun. Advance/retard could result in dieseling, not power, bad emission or increase in power when done right.

EfI vehicle requires tune-up too.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    thanks for your reply Afrasay... i'm a little bit offline kc pagdating sa gas engine... mas sanay tayo sa diesel.

i'm very interested in EFI tuning but i think electronic management control is involved w/c is a big No No if we don't want to mess our car. No other option but CASA lang talaga.

What is "engine knock"