New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Lagi nating na discuss ang oil and other fluid. My question is how important are the filters: air, fuel, oil, transmission....

Kasi we have lots of choices. We can get original from casa, OEM, replacement like VIC, may fake pa. Car manufactures say we have to use their filters to protect the engine but other filter manufacturers also claim they provide the same or better protection. Alin ang tama?

So lets say you use a top quality oil like a full synthetic from Motul then use a cheap oil filter, will it affect your engine? Or lets say you use a fake air or fuel filter, what will happen?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Lagi nating na discuss ang oil and other fluid. My question is how important are the filters: air, fuel, oil, transmission....

Kasi we have lots of choices. We can get original from casa, OEM, replacement like VIC, may fake pa. Car manufactures say we have to use their filters to protect the engine but other filter manufacturers also claim they provide the same or better protection. Alin ang tama?

So lets say you use a top quality oil like a full synthetic from Motul then use a cheap oil filter, will it affect your engine? Or lets say you use a fake air or fuel filter, what will happen?
    filters are components, that is, if they are not good, they negate the effects of the liquids that they are filtering.

same with the air filter... if they are not of good quality, they let dust and pollutants enter your engine... not good in the long run.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    pag sobrang dumi na ng air filter ay hirap din humatak.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Filters are essential help for engine to perform on it’s maximum level. Be it on fuel, oil or air. OEM or a reputable replacements will do it’s part provided we replace it on or better before it’s maximum duration. For me Vic or Bosch if there’s available.

5. Join Date
    May 2004
    As always, get OEM especially if your pocket can manage.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    In order for filters to work, they have to restrict flow be it transmission filter for automatics, oil filters, air filters, even fuel filters and cabin filters. Some cars also have power steering filters as well as primary and secondary fuel filters (diesels come to mind). It is essential that they be able to do their job so choose what the manufacturers have installed as OE parts. There's a difference between OE and OEM parts though.

OE parts come from the casa, branded with the car make and usually are more expensive. OEM parts are usually designed to meet the factory specifications and come from the same part manufacturer, however they're not repacked or rebranded as "genuine (insert car make) filter." For example, there are tons of filters by Bosch but some car manufacturers rebrand them as their own. Also note that not all filters, just because they're a certain brand, are always manufactured where they would come from. For example, not all Bosch filters are manufactured in Germany. Some are done in Austria, France, even India. In my experience I've learned to be picky as to where parts are manufactured from and that they're OEM parts at least, but OE would be much better too.

Most filters have a standard to adhere to and can vary slightly. Statistically, this is known as having error bars in graphs and such, where the mean represents the standard. It's generally okay to be within that range but if a test has been done and the filters do not meet these standards then by all means, run away from them.

The only situation I'd use cheap aftermarket filters is when I'm going to be using it temporarily and replace it sooner than it should be. For example, if I went to some place that was dusty, the air filter would clog up. Rotating it would not help, so any cheap filter that can perform better than a clogged one helps a lot, but replace it soon with the correct OE or OEM part.

K&N air filters have had an issue whereby the oil used to coat them prevents the mass air flow (MAF) sensors from working properly, or even damaging them. So keep in mind these things when modifying your filters.

In order of preference, I'd choose:

OE > OEM > aftermarket

But due to budget constraints have almost always used OEM parts for my w123. They've been wonderful, no doubt, and in restoring a car that's 25 years old and used daily I'm sure the OEM items work perfectly. There is a catch though, some manufacturers that produce OEM parts claim to meet manufacture standards. However my experience with *some* OEM brands sadly are not as great. When I had some bushings installed on my car, for example, the cheap ones were Febi-Bilstein, Moog, Meyle, and such. True enough, after about one and a half years or more of use, some of the newly replaced parts have already deteriorated. So even if OEM parts claim to be spec'd accordingly, ask around first.

In terms of cost, I'd choose:

OEM > OE > aftermarket

This is because even if aftermarket parts cost much less, they're not as reliable.

But in terms of reliability, I'd choose:

OE > OEM > aftermarket

Hope that helps

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Pag Air and Oil Filter ok lang orig kasi hindi gaano nagkakalayo sa price ng replacement....

Pero yung Fuel Filter yun grabe ang mahal ng orig....ano pala ok na Fuel Filter pero mura lang....

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    air filter kahit replacement lang okay lang basta make sure that you maintain it clean

oil filter naman replacement brands usually okay naman basta don't buy local made like daiwa ... kung may budget VIC ... i can teach you how to spot a fake one ... if your using synthetic oil siyempre orig na bilhin mo naka bili ka nga ng synthetic oil filter pa kaya

fuel is i think the most important ... kasi kung barado ito ... hindi as in hindi tatakbo yang car mo .... usually there is a lot of nice brand filters out in the market ... ndi naman kailangan orig basta ask mo yung quality the filter mo bast a hindi local okay na yun .... try looking for a brand filter 1001 ... usually okay naman ito

hope this helps

BANAWE AUTO SUPPLY
    regy

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    for me medyo tight budget so replacement ako, kanina lang i had my fuel and air filter replaced, orig yung nakuha kong fuel filter pero yung air filter i chose the aftermarket, laki kasi ng difference sa price, 325 vs 1200. i just plan on changing the air filter a lot earlier than recommended since na aftermarket lang.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Pano mo malalaman kung pareho ang filtering capability ng OE, OEM at replacement? Eh hindi naman sinasabi ng mga car manufacturers at filter makers kung inlang microns ang kaya mafilter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
usapang filters