New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It should be possible with the right turbo to sit at around 130-150 hp and have no issues with the stock clutch and little problem with fuel economy... just select a turbine that spools up at higher engine speeds (around 3000 rpm and up) so you can leave fuel mapping nearly stock at low rpms.

For an Avanza to perform, you'll want to lower it, give it better shocks and anti-roll bars, and widen the stance with new mags and tires.

Personally, I would just go with the 1.5 and call it a day... you could have a fast 1.3 for the cost of the 1.5, but it will still have the cruddy 1.3 interior. The 1.5's interior, on the other hand, is pretty nice.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    If you are buying 2nd hand, why not buy an Avanza 1.5L? Bigger displacement has more potential for more power. Or are you still trying to balance engine power potential with fuel economy? It is because they don't go together pretty well.

Power mods typically throw out fuel economy out of the window.

Hi GH,

You are right, I am trying to balance engine power potential with fuel economy. I guess from what you mentioned, it can't be done nicely.

Thank you all for the information provided.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It should be possible with the right turbo to sit at around 130-150 hp and have no issues with the stock clutch and little problem with fuel economy... just select a turbine that spools up at higher engine speeds (around 3000 rpm and up) so you can leave fuel mapping nearly stock at low rpms.

For an Avanza to perform, you'll want to lower it, give it better shocks and anti-roll bars, and widen the stance with new mags and tires.

Personally, I would just go with the 1.5 and call it a day... you could have a fast 1.3 for the cost of the 1.5, but it will still have the cruddy 1.3 interior. The 1.5's interior, on the other hand, is pretty nice.
    Thanks Niky, I am more inclined now to go on that direction

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    But that would definitely exceed the budget.

And with a max hp of only 130hp, I don't think an LSD and high speed differential would be needed.

In this case, an upgraded clutch would not be needed unless the owner would want to drag race his Avanza. The stock clutch would do fine until it's time to be replaced.
    I had one instance of the clutch slipping after ng nahinto ako sa parking ramp tapos loaded.

had several instances na nag slip ang 1 sa mga gulong ko on cement.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    I had one instance of the clutch slipping after ng nahinto ako sa parking ramp tapos loaded.

had several instances na nag slip ang 1 sa mga gulong ko on cement.
    Sure it wasn't the tires the other time on the parking ramp, also? That's more common for rear drivers.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Sure it wasn't the tires the other time on the parking ramp, also? That's more common for rear drivers.
    not the tires. may "cementong tusok-tusok" para sigurado ang grip ng gma gulaong sa parking ramp.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by meledson View Post
    not the tires. may "cementong tusok-tusok" para sigurado ang grip ng gma gulaong sa parking ramp.
    I have seen RWD vans with spinning tires on those textured ramps.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah. Those things actually decrease grip because less rubber is in contact with the road. Would have been better if they instead used ribbing to drain water.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Turbo Chargers and Intercooler installation is it worth the MONEY?