New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

in performing a tune up, what is the proper way of turning the crankshaft prior to measuring the gap between the rocker arm and the valve stem? This for a 4g15 sohc lancer engine.

kasi diba, the first step is to place piston 1 at compression stroke. in this way, you can now adjust I/E of piston 4, I of piston 3, and E of piston 2.
    - Now, how do I turn the crankshaft to place piston 4 at compression?
    - Is there a special tool to turn the crankshaft into place?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ako top dead center ang reference ko pag adjust ng valve clearance. nway, whatever works is fine lalo na kung base naman ito sa sa workshop manual.

pag turn ko ng crank shaft, gamit ko ay cross wrench na fit dun sa bolt ng pulley.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ty, how about advancing? is it a mandatory procedure? im no plugging shell, but i am using v-power. i am actually after the balance between fuel consumption and power. does this mean that i should stick to tdc timing and just rely on the vaccum advance of my distributor?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I suggest you get an engine manual for that engine.
    The timing marks can be seen at the pulley or flywheel. know the firing order and running mates of the pistons
    Use the short method if possible. know the approved/recommended clearance.
    A power handle/rachet and the right deep socket can turn the pulley. Always turn it according to the engines turning direction.
    Always remember that you will have two top dead center in a four stroke engine so if you can do it in short method the better at hindi nakakalito.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    yup, i have the engine overhaul/rebuild manual from the manufacturer. andun na ang clearance pati ang shortcut ng pagayos ng clearance (as what i have stated in my first post). turning is clockwise, facing the engine (right fender). distributor has also a mark to be set when piston 1 is in tdc compression stroke.

what i am interested about is the concept of advance/retard that can equate to a better fuel economy with shell v-power.

ang nakita ko is, merong mark dun sa crankshaft pulley, pero isa lang. wala syang degree graduations. does that mean i have a hit or miss advance retard?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I don't know if it's available there but here in the US there's a tool that you connect to the battery and the starter to "bump start" the car in order to turn the engine without wrenching the crankshaft pulley bolt. That's what they did with my diesel when I went in for a valve adjustment. Madali lang naman siya gawin actually, you just need thick gauge wire, a good hand held push/spring switch (not a toggle switch, otherwise that will start the car) and know the car's electronics. Not familiar with valve adjustment of gasoline cars but if it's a good idea to remove the spark plugs to prevent the engine from running, that might help. If not then maybe find a way to disable the ignition system. In the diesel the glow system is bypassed/disconnected to make sure it's not warming up the prechambers.

tune up question