New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Hi I would just like to clarify some things when it comes to changing your oil and tuning up your car. BTW, i own a honda SiR and it says on the owners manual na every 5k kilometer kelangan magpalit ng oil or every 3 months i think which ever goes first.

Nung last time ko naman nagpatune up sa Rapide, they told me na after 10k kilometers from the time my car was tuned up, kelangan ko na ulit magpa-tune up.

So my question mga sir is...do i change oil every 5k km and tune up my car (spark plugs, air filter, etc.) every 10k km? I have a friend kasi na every 3 to 4 months tune up sya so palit lahat ng kelangan palitan. So mejo confused ako which one to follow. Hope you guys can enllighten me on this. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    depende kung anong oil gamit mo.. pag regular oil.. every 5K.. pag fully synthetic.. every 10K ang change oil..

Best time for me is just before LTO registration, para sigurado pasado sa emission.

Usually the more frequent, the better. So ok ang every 5000kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. Sabi nung iba, puwede every 10k ang oil change ng fully synth, pero every 5k pa rin ang oil filter. Depende rin sa environment where you drive. Kung maalikabok, intervals should be shorter.

For starters, sundan mo na lang manual, or what is recommended by the casa. Baka kasi mag-hanap pa sila ng butas for warranty claims.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    mas maganda sir follow na lang natin yung nsa owners manual standard po kasi yan sa honda po

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    I think a better question is how do you maintain your car?

I use to have a 1988 Toyota celica with over 550,000 miles (I donate to salvation army) I change oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles (on my rate, about every 3-4 months). Monthly, I check the brake fluid, battery terminal and cable, transmission fluid and weekly on radiator water (just spot check their levels to ensure that there are no leaks). On the sparkplug I used a platinum which is good from 75 to 100,000 miles which is like every 4 years whichever come first.

Every 7000 miles, I rotate my wheels, once a year I change radiator water coolant. Twice a month, I check my wheel pressure and ensure all four wheels are all 32psi. Once every two years, I bring to shop to perform a wheel and camber alignment.

Don't forget to give a car wash when needed, but most especially, once a 3 month,engine wash.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Oil change depends on two main things

1. Condition of driving environment (hot/cold, severe/light traffic, spirited driving/relaxed)
    2. Type of oil (regular dino/synthetic, viscosity)

Increased stress on the engine caused by weather extremes, severe driving conditions, spirited driving manners typically call for shortened mileage intervals for oil change and tune up. Not just for oil but for other parts as well such as transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, etc and don't forget their corresponding filters.

Type of oil also determines how long you can go. Synthetics break down more consistently but not as easily as regular dino oil, so they can be used for prolonged periods. Regular dino oil, especially diesel oil that has soot protection, needs to be changed more frequently because they're not as good as synthetic oils. They break down easier and diesel engine soot becomes a mild abrasive in the oil, you don't want that abrasive substance lingering too long in the engine bay.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    3 months or 5k whichever comes first if you got the budget. 6 months or 10k, if you don't

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Synthetic oils live much longer than mineral oils, but it's false to assume that just because you use synthetic, they'll last much longer. A car will be able to run twice as long on synthetic oil if it's designed to run twice as long as it... on older cars with looser tolerances, you will have to religiously check the oil to ascertain whether you need to change the oil or not come 5000 kilometers.

I check my oil every morning. My engine is a relatively oid design. I've noted that mineral or synthetic, once you're past a few thousand kilometers, the oil is dirty. It doesn't matter whether the base oil itself is still good or has maintained its lubricity, you're changing your oil to get rid of those contaminants which can abrade and wear down the inside of your engine.

Some people compromise by using synthetic and changing oil every 10,000 kilometers and changing the oil filter every 5000, to help keep the oil clean.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Is it ok to alternate the oil change from synthetic to mineral every 5k km or 3 mos whichever comes first? That way, the damage won't be that huge on your pockets. Is it also advisable to flush it when changing oil?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ nope. if your car is a bit old, the oil seals may be too brittle which may cause synthetic oil to leak out. better just use mineral and just observe the regular oil change interval every 5k kms.

on flushing, not necessary, unless isang taon o mahigit ka nang hindi nag change oil.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Tune Up & Change Oil --- When is the best time?