New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Hi mga tsikoteers, may alam ba kayong bilihan ng timer counter. Someone has told me that this is the best way for change oil schedule. This will count the number of hours na umaandar yung makina ng kotse natin. For Gasoline engine ideal is 250 hours and for deisel is 200 hours. This is more accurate compare to the millage that registered on our Odo where we base. He has a point because they are using this in Middle east on their change oil schedule. has anyone have tried this or installed this in here? Pa share naman kung saan nakabili. Salamat...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually, how can that be a more "accurate" basis than mileage? If I idle my car 100hrs it'll equal the wear of the oil of driving it hard for 100hours or cruising at low rpm on the highway for 100hrs?

Doesn't make sense dude.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    hour meter tawag nila dyan.
    normally found on construction equipments, tractors sa mga farm etc.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes, sa mga heavy duty field vehicles, that may make sense since it only runs in the same conditions most of the time, pag daily-road driven cars, doesn't seem to make sense to do so.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    i think it does makes sense. because lets say i travel to manila, which is only bout 60kms frm tagaytay.now if i encountered traffic along the way,wouldnt dat 60kms be actually longer than wat you've traveled with your engine running?its not like you turn your engine off everytime u stop.so based on this logic u really cant rely on the odometer reading.i mean when we traveled to mindanao, we basically slept in our starex overnyt. now can you say that, that didnt add any stress to your engine i mean idling all nyt? so wer can u buy this timer, cuz i want it. and i think it will also give u a better estimate of when u should replace the timing belts.i really think the timing belts should be monitored on an hourly basis rather than milege.

your opinions are very much welcomed.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    it doesnt require instruments to tell when,just set your celfone in a date that you desired..

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    yes it makes sense, as what cocoy said. too much idle is worse than a engine running at normal speeds. it is more accurate than the mileage reading.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta ako every 5tkms. La nako pakialam sa month, hours, etc. I think this is too much O.C. na - putting a oil timer.

Just my 2 centavoses

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Modern car engines, new lubricants (there is already an SM rating) & their oil change interval (based on mileage) are already overengineered to handle such conditions.

If you want to still step up the protection for your engine... you can opt to use a fully synthetic engine oil and change oil every three months (regardless of mileage - but this is a complete waste of money).

You may also want to avail of Shell's Free Oil Vitality Check (see thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24713). It'll give you a good idea if your oil is still good or not.

Btw, your vehicle manual also has a note about this... if your vehicle is subjected regularly to heat, dust, excessive idling... you can adjust your oil change interval from say 5000km to 3000km.

As for the timing belt... it should be visually inspected.

IMO - that's just another marketing gimmick for you to spend unnecessarily on oil changes. Just like changing oil every three months regardless of mileage.

But if we are talking about heavy duty equipment then it would be a different case.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sa akin automatic na rin. tuwing papatak ang odo ko sa 5K, 10K, 15K, etc. magpapachange oil na ako. kung sa 11 or 12K ko na napa oil change, sa ika 15K, change oil na rin.
    Signature

Timer Counter for change oil scheduling