New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Emergency vehicles also benefit from not having to run 16 hours a day to achieve ROI...

Quote Originally Posted by Retz View Post
    maybe they are investing in acquiring more taxis rather than having it repaired or maintained.
    Pretty much. Maximum profit for minimum investment. Buy taxi ultra cheap, run it till it breaks. Fix it cheap. Let it break again, repeat. When the taxi is in the shop more than it is on the road, repaint it, sell it to some sucker, buy another secondhand...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep but we idle extensively to maintain cabin temp to standard. Especially during event standbys.

Though our foreign counterparts have it much worse with some units not even having to shut off the engine for the whole shift. Hehe. So they rely on engine hour meters rather than odometers for maintenance timing.

Thinking of putting engine hour meters on our units too.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    We just got one. Am scheduled to test-drive it for roadworthiness evaluation sometime this week. (But honestly, I just want to drive it!) We just finished technical and equipment evaluation. Fully loaded, baby. Whelen everything, on-board inverter and charging port, GM Powerstroke, DPF... droolworthy.

And yes, it has an engine hours meter. Nice touch.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Our piggybank still isnt big enough for that but we try to keep the standards up. Currently modding up a Grandia as a rescue rig for a large multinational company.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Don't forget the nitrous.

I've always wanted to customize a turbodiesel ambulance... alcohol injection, intercooler, chip.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Don't forget the nitrous.

I've always wanted to customize a turbodiesel ambulance... alcohol injection, intercooler, chip.
    I don't think Recaro makes stretchers for that kind of ambulance...

Lalagyan daw ni Otep ng 20" blings. Hehe. Since its a multinational company, he gotta impress the hommies too y'know.

Funny thing about this topic, i've never really learned much from taxi operators except stuff that are not to be done if you love your rides. The most famous taxi mod ive seen on these forums would most likely be the raised front hood to avoid overheating.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    There's one beneficial thing my dad and I learned from taxi drivers - it's where to bring cars for repair and repainting on a cheapskate budget. I've been a beneficiary of such advice once.

As far as mechanical maintenance goes, though, I take their recommendations with a lot of salt.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actual Taxi driver advice:
    *dont use coolant, masama sa makina iyan
    *remove the thermostat asap, hindi kailangan sa pilipinas niyan
    *change the oil twice a year (how many kms do they rack up?)
    *huwag ipagawa ang mga bangga. Dadami pa yan. Ipunin na lang.
    *may pundidong ilaw? May isa pa naman. Palitan na lang pag napundi ang isa.
    *basta umaandar pa, ok lang.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Wala nang change-oil change oil. Dagdag lang pag nabawasan.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i wonder if gumagamit ba yung mga taxi operators ng GTOil hehe

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Taxi operators are the most experienced with car maintenance and car troubles...