New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Thanks for all your help. Will try that soon. Not just yet since my wife will kill me if I leave early again to do stuff for my car. Di pa naman nnecessary. Medyo maingay lang. But will reserve having my exhaust done until I talk with one of the Sisons.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    If it's just physically bigger - longer or larger outside with NO CHANGE to the INSIDE PIPE diameter then it will probably be quieter (although a larger outside diameter and greater length will make your exhaust note lower) with LITTLE or NO EFFECT on the Fuel Consumption.

If you increase the inside pipe diameter of any muffler in your system to a size larger than stock - expect to lose some low-end to mid-range torque and fuel economy.
    Sir, I noticed a crack or like a lit on my ga16dne muffler probably because of bakod humps na tumatama doon and I feel exhaust gas coming out from that crack/slit. It's underneath, along the centerline of the muffler. Based on this, the muffler became noisy and I'd like to silence it and I think having it repaired will do the job, will it not?

Also, if it was repaired or replaced I still plan to silence it more would replacing the resonator or the muffler with a bigger casing but same diameter (ID) affect anything? And when you said "exhaust note lower" does it mean "exhaust is bassy" or is it like a "low frequency sound."

Thanks!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Kurby:

If the crack is just that - a simple crack then there is no problem having a welder patch it - it should work just fine.

But if the impact loosened the interior parts of your muffler then that's a different story - it will have to be opened and the inside repaired.

Ask a trusted welding/muffler shop to give you an assessment and quote - then you can decide.

As to the lower exhaust note - I mean exactly that - it will give off a sound that is lower in frequency - no musical comparison here just physics.

BTW if you did get a crack in you muffler then it's either mounted too low or you lowered your car too much.

The low mount is easy to fix - as to the lowered car well that's up to you, but in my experience here in the Philippines humps do not get smaller or potholes any shallower - the more ground clearance the better.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Thanks duskylim.

The car is on stock height, with worn out rear shocks, however. The low mount probably is the problem, how do you fix it?

And yes its a crack but the exhaust also comes out of the crack.

Thanks!

I also have another question, whats a catback exhaust?

Thanks!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    No brainer there, replace your worn shocks, its not just unstable, its downright dangerous.

A low-mounted exhaust pipe is simply adjusted higher by the muffler/welding shop.

I have no idea what a catback(?) exhaust is.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Alright, I'll just replace those as soon as I can.

Thanks Duskylim.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    may catalytic converter muna bago dumaan sa muffler. more restriction and earth friendly kapag catback.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    I have no idea what a catback(?) exhaust is.

"Catback" is simple refers to the exhaust system after the catalytic converter.

In places where emission control is strict (like california) most bolt-on exhaust mods would be more limited to cat-back types.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    coz removing the catalytic converter is illegal

aren't you glad we don't have that regulation here?

we can drive around with headers and downpipe only

hehe

10. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    "Catback" is simple refers to the exhaust system after the catalytic converter.

In places where emission control is strict (like california) most bolt-on exhaust mods would be more limited to cat-back types.
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    coz removing the catalytic converter is illegal

aren't you glad we don't have that regulation here?

we can drive around with headers and downpipe only

hehe
    hindi ba mas malakas sa gas yung ganun?

Quote Originally Posted by ben_david19 View Post
    may catalytic converter muna bago dumaan sa muffler. more restriction and earth friendly kapag catback.
    Ah... So, after ng cat converter ay derecho na lang? la ng mufler at resonator at pwede na yung malalaking diameter na pipings? hehehe

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Tailpipe fuel consumption effect