New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    This happens once a week

Why does my automatic car stall when I come to a stop, I need to put it in neutral so it doesn't die? it's fine in park and neutral; but in reverse or drive it wants to die when I come to a stop.

After driving it around for a bit, the problem may or may not go away . The rpm dips when im in drive and depress the accelerator pad and the car shudders and stalls/almost stalls.

This usually happens when i crank the car and its takes around 3 seconds before the car starts up.

checked with dealer and they cant find the problem. 22,000km mileage

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I don't own an A/T car but I think its the torque converter.. Anyone??

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xzrzx View Post
    This happens once a week

Why does my automatic car stall when I come to a stop, I need to put it in neutral so it doesn't die? it's fine in park and neutral; but in reverse or drive it wants to die when I come to a stop.

After driving it around for a bit, the problem may or may not go away . The rpm dips when im in drive and depress the accelerator pad and the car shudders and stalls/almost stalls.

This usually happens when i crank the car and its takes around 3 seconds before the car starts up.

this happens to cars with torque converter lock up equipped cars when the coolant temperature has reached normal, and has shifted to third gear. once you step on the brake pedal, the torque converter clutch solenoid is supposed to dump trans oil pressure from the torque converter clutch. if the brake switch, tcc solenoid, the pcm or the wirings are bad, it will cause the tcc trans fluid to remain under pressure and the torque converter in lock up mode

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xzrzx View Post
    This happens once a week

make/model/year?
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; January 20th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.

a/t Car stalls when stopping