New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [SIZE="3"]OK guys..thanks sa mga inouts nyong lahat...

I guess I can really prolong the use of my syn oil like for 7,000 to 8,000km

for my diesel engine...

Have anyone of you tried to use syn oil for 12,000km in a diesel engine..?

Or even up to 15,000km?

Kasi sa company ng friend ko ang change oil interval ng company cars nila eh

hanggang 10,000km using mineral oils...Wala naman daw nagiging prob sa

mga cars nila...(Kasi til 10yrs lang binebenta na nila sasakyan eh)

So tingin niyo advisable bang gamitin yung syn oil for up to 12,000km to

15,000km..?

TIA ulet...
    [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by erick_214 View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Elow Guyz...Have a Q here...

Which of the two would you prefer?

1) Using a SYNTHETIC oil and have an oil change every 10,000 Km
    2) Using a MINERAL oil and have an oil change every 5,000 Km

????

Which of the two will give a better protection to your engine?

Comments and suggestions are highly appreciated...

TIA...
    [/SIZE]

Generally I prefer mineral oil and change oil every 5000km. Why? It is not that the oil is wearing out. You are removing the accumulated dirt and contaminations from the engine.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    yup.. i agree.. thats why i even change oil every 2 months.. regardless of the Kilometers. and by using valvoline heavy duty diesel oil.. it cost P1500 per oil change.. that includes labor and oil filter,

another question that i do have. is why hasnt the filter technology improved.. so that it can still filter oil at 10k kms?as for now oil filters for mineral and synthetic are the same..
    shouldnt there be a difference? could be wrong? hmmm

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoy View Post
    another question that i do have. is why hasnt the filter technology improved.. so that it can still filter oil at 10k kms?as for now oil filters for mineral and synthetic are the same..
    shouldnt there be a difference? could be wrong? hmmm

I think its because you can only improve a design so much. Beyond a certain point, you will just increase it's complexity and cost without major increases in function or benefits.

An oil filter is simply a device used to separate the impurity or dirt from the motor oil. The dirt and other impurities are stored inside the filter until it is replaced by a fresh filter.

So, a brand new filter will NOT flow oil at the same rate as one that have been used for 5000km even if it's designed for 10,000km of use. Given that oil fiters are cheap, it would be much better to replace one than get an "extended use" oil filter.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post

[SIZE=4]your car should have come with an owner's manual. in it, the service intervals are specified as to the time/mileage due. this guide tells you it is the maximum service interval for your fluids with the least wear and tear assuming your engine is neither running too hot nor too cold (overcooled engine). the mineral oil to this time is API service SM or protection level has been dramatically increased since the SD oils of the '70's. additives to the oil like corrosion inhibitors, detergent, friction modifiers and dispersants have been improved. the sulfur content had been reduced too (sulfur in your oil mixed with moisture by heat and agitation-results in acids in your oil). the synthetics have no or very little sulfur in them. it is still better to change your oil at the recommended intervals. just like your bath tub, you would not want to soak in the same tub of water over and over. in the same token, it is pointless to change oil too frequently aside from reducing waste and for a greener earth.[/SIZE]

even if you soak yourself in evian or perrier in a tub, it ain't evian nor perrier no mo' once it is contaminated. yomsayin'. change your oil regularly as per manufacturer's recommendation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Synthetic VS. Mineral