New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk
    kamukha nito ung nagamit ko:
    That's an effective filter wrench, as long as the size of the filter isn't beyond the useful range designed for the particular wrench you are using.

There are also other types like the rubber-sling type. There's also the fixed "socket" type that's specifically dimensioned for a specific filter diameter.

It is common knowledge to NEVER tighten an oil filter with a wrench. The wrench is exclusively for REMOVAL purposes only.

What I do when I hand-tight the oil filter is wrap it with a cleaner shop rag. The shop rag not only enhances the friction between the hand and the filter, but it also increases the effective diameter of the filter, thus making it easier for the hand to twist it in.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ah ganun ba? what if the filter is hard to grip, such as say, if the oil filter is difficult to access?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mbt
    ah ganun ba? what if the filter is hard to grip, such as say, if the oil filter is difficult to access?
    Personally, I've never encountered an oil filter that's too inaccessible for hand tightening or removal. I may have had to access it from beneath the car or at odd angles but they've always been accessible enough for hand-twisting.

Nevertheless, if the oil filter is far too hidden, I would definitely resort to using a filter wrench for tightening... but I would also make sure to apply just about as much torque as I could if I were tightening it by hand.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    The mechanic in a gas station near our house uses a wooden stick and a strip of abaca rope when removing oil filters.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    hand tightening lang dapat... and use some oil on the rubber to make sure it seals properly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
stubborn oil filter