New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i keep getting intermittent squeals from the engine bay. minsan pagstart pa lang meron na, minsan pag long drive tsaka nagkakaroon. Duration is about 10 seconds to a minute.

i'll try to post a recording the next time it happens para marining niyo, but it's a high pitched squeal, and during its longer spells, towards the end it seems like the squeal goes on a higher pitch, then disappears.

the few times that i managed to trace it, parang nanggagaling sa alternator area. a mechanic once commented na baka nagsaslide ung belt, since it got drenched in oil. balak ko sana to clean it first with gaas(is it safe to do so?) -- try the cheapest solutions first ika nga.

what do you think? belt lang nga ba ang problema? or do i need to shop for a new alternator?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Belts yan bro. You should change it na lang, it would cheaper. Why was it drenched in oil pala? Baka me tagas ang engine mo, try to have it checked once you have your belts replaced.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup. those are belts. they are either old/hard so that they tend to slip sa mga pulleys.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    yah, all except the timing belt got drenched in oil coz of a nasty leak. me mga cracks na nakita dun sa treads, but wala pa namang cracks across the width of the belt...sabi ng mekaniko usable pa naman daw.

di naman masisira ung belt kung pahiran ko ng gaas no?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    yah, all except the timing belt got drenched in oil coz of a nasty leak. me mga cracks na nakita dun sa treads, but wala pa namang cracks across the width of the belt...sabi ng mekaniko usable pa naman daw.

di naman masisira ung belt kung pahiran ko ng gaas no?
    afaik, pag natuyo ang gaas, lalong magiging brittle yung rubber. afaik again, may mga rubber belt conditioners na nabibili sa market ah..

but then again, its better if you would just have it changed. mura lang naman ang belts eh. mas ok na yan kesa maputulan ka o mag slip yung belts.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    ic..cge po, papalitan ko na yan madali lang bang iDIY to? it seems simple enough based on the course i took...kaso nakalatag ung engine sa lamesa :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    palitan mo na lang yun belt, worry free ka pa,madali lang naman magpalit ng belt. Yun luma , e un ang gawin mong spare, in case....

8. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Pwedeng DIY bro, pero be sure that the tension specified sa manual mo masunod.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    change the belts na imo... if there are crack na then a breakage cannot be far away.

squeal from engine bay