New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    hi,

sohc,dohc and ohv (isuzu term)

which amongst them is best for a picku[p diesel engine configuration

in terms of 1) durability/reliability 2) power 3) servicability.

thanks

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The best is the DOHC configuration. It makes the cam easier to get to and adjust. DOHCs are normally associated with more powerful engines, and the intake timing can be adjusted without affecting the exhaust timing. DOHCs also allow a wider angle for the intake and exhaust ports to be positioned (typically better combustion resulting in more power).

Yung OHV, im not really sure about this, but i think the cam is mounted somewhere inside the block. Parang mga sinaunang engines. Tapos meron mga pushrod to actuate the tappets which in turn pushes the valves. Again, im not too sure lang.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OHV is older tech. OHC designs are generally used nowadays. But even Chevy Corvettes are still using an OHV layout.

I don't really know the virtues or vice between an OHC or an OHV layout. But the OHC is simpler and (in theory) is more efficient than a similar OHV set up.

I guess the quality of the assembly is more important that the design.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    yep. the DOHC is the best among the three. since there are separate camshaft to drive the intake/exhaust valves, it is made for less slippage resulting to added power for the engine. unlike the SOHC, a single camshaft that lifts both intake/exhaust valves. let us take for example the DOHC engine of the Trooper (4JX1-TC) and the DMax (4JH1-TC), they were of the same displacement but different in horsepower output- the low down, because of the DOHC the former's horsepower is 30 more horse than the latter(respectively, 160 and 130 hp).

sohc vs. dohc vs. ohv