New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Just used this caltex havoline 20w-50 oil on my 1996 nissan sentra ga13 engine with 139,100k on odometer, parang naging pigil yung takbo, I have to step more on the gas to get better acceleration, (oil filter and air filter were replaced & flushing was done during the oil change). Unlike before when I used the shell 20w-50 helix (in the red container) there's no hesitation on acceleration, Di ba same lang viscosity nila? Need advice kung Ok lang ba na gamitan ko nang semi synthetic like castrol or shell yung 15 year old engine? kung 10w-40 oil wala ba maging problem? Btw there's no oil leak in the engine & i never add oil during change oil intervals.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur37 View Post
    Just used this caltex havoline 20w-50 oil on my 1996 nissan sentra ga13 engine with 139,100k on odometer, parang naging pigil yung takbo, I have to step more on the gas to get better acceleration, (oil filter and air filter were replaced & flushing was done during the oil change). Unlike before when I used the shell 20w-50 helix (in the red container) there's no hesitation on acceleration, Di ba same lang viscosity nila? Need advice kung Ok lang ba na gamitan ko nang semi synthetic like castrol or shell yung 15 year old engine? kung 10w-40 oil wala ba maging problem? Btw there's no oil leak in the engine & i never add oil during change oil intervals.
    There's no difference in using the caltex havoline and the shell helix because they have the same viscosity (yes you're right)...Using a thicker oil is recommended in tropical countries like ours to protect our engines from friction heat together with the temperature in our environment.
    Using thinner oils like the 10w-40 is also good..but it was made to cool climate countries because they have starting problems especially during winter. We can also use these thinner oils in modern day engines because some engine blocks are now made of aluminum alloys (which dissipates heat easily) compared to old cast iron engine blocks.
    If you think there's engine hesitation, try to use higher octane fuel (95+ RON), or if you're currently using it, try to advance your distributor 1 or 2 degrees from your current reading. (e.g. current reading = 8 degrees BTDC add 1 or 2 degrees..new reading = 10 degrees BTDC)..

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    verify if nothing came loose after the oil change. could be some hoses or connectors came out?

slow acceleration on 20w-50 havoline