New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Hi.

Am thinking of getting a Simota air filter for my car (Corolla '96 1.6 GLi). However, after reading a few bulletin boards and the like, it seems to be the common conclusion that introducing such devices (whether Simota, K&N, or Hurricane) makes it easier for dirt and other particles to enter your engine. Thus, the need for more frequent oil changes.

Is this true? Will the o8il be changed more ofte?

If yes, how often?

Which would be better to use then, synthetic or regular oil? Better meaning safer for the car, and cheaper in the end.

In the end, will a car be damaged because of this dirt penetration?

Additional information aside from the above questions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Sana kung K&N sulit. Eh Simota pala, wag na lang.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Again, REGARDLESS of brand, how long should one change oil kung nagpa-install ng performance air filters?

Thanks.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    i use simota and semi synthetic engine oil. palit oil and oil filter every 5,000km. hindi dark color ang oil.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    TS: search mo sa net yung Australian air filter shootout. K&N mas sulit.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Here's the deal, the Simota is not exactly the best in filtration but not the worst either as far as filters go. But they filter well enough if your using a quality filter you don't have much to worry about silicon in your oil will still be minimum. Even with the the El-chepo gauze filters your oil still will be fine for a normal oil change interval. Just don't use a foam filter or a metal mesh filter they let the big stuff through that scuff up things.

I also use a Simota on my vehicle. I don't like oiled filters just because my vehicle is very sensitive to getting the MAF dirty.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Hi Jayar87 and fellow tsikoters,
    Before converting your air filter to another design or type try to imagine how it all works. The air from the outside of the engine together with the dust enters your engine through the air filter. The pores of the original air filter are designed to allow very few and very fine dusts only. As the piston goes down the cylinder during the power stroke, the dusts are thrown into the cylinder wall where they stick until the piston ring pushes them up again into the combustion chamber during the exhaust stroke. Imagine how rubbing dusts with your newly polished car paint appears. The same thing happens to the shiny cylinder walls of your engine when the piston and its rings push up the dusts along the walls. The dusts scrub and scratch the walls of the cylinder. This is repeated thousand of times in a minute depending upon your rpm. If the dusts are bigger because you now use filter which have bigger pores, then the damage is worst. Usually, the less restrictive the air filter is, the bigger size and more dust are allowed to enter. The oil does not help much because the oil takes down the dust on the cylinder walls only after they have done the damage. So if you use free flowing air filters, be ready to expect shorter engine life. You may have to have your engine overhauled sooner than you think.

Also on oils, it is a common belief that an oil that stays clean is a good oil. An oil that is highly detergent has good cleaning ability. It absorbs the engine dirt and carry them through the oil filter where the dirt are left and filtered out. A good oil cleans very well and should get dark easily as it absorbs dirt. A good oil becomes dirty very soon while the engine remains clean. An oil that gets dirty is working well. An oil the stays clean is not working to clean the engine. It remains clean but the engine stays dirty. Which do we want - a clean oil but dirty engine or a dirty oil but clean engine. Not possible to have a clean oil and also clean engine.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Or use GTOil. Joke!

Personally, I stick with the disposable aftermarket air filter. May cost more in the long run, but I don't have to go through the hassle of cleaning my filter and charging it with its oil. Also not after performance gains, you know, only for family drives.

Just my 2 cents.

Simota and changing oil