New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Mga Sir, Tanong lang po. Kasi tumatagas yung langis sa makina ko palagi dati, then i went to buy a replacement(japan) goma na nagse-seal ng oil, na nilalagay sa gitna ng cylinder head at yung lower part ng makina. Nung nilagay nung mekaniko, nilagyan niya ng silicon pandikit sa goma, and i didnt fail to notice na may bits ng silicon na nahulog sa loob, maliliit na silicon stuff na lumalangoy sa langis sa loob ng makina ko. Mga Sir makaka apekto ba ito sa takbo ng kotse ko? Or worse makakasira ba ito? Tinanong ko sa mekaniko okay lang naman daw iyon, pero kasi naisip ko, baka palusot niya lang na nagkamali siya, natatakot lang ako, like every other person, ayaw ko gumastos ng malaki dahil sa overhaul. Mejo nagsisi nga ako e, dapat ata hinayaan ko na lang tumagas langis ko kaysa sa magkaroon nanaman ng bagong pag-iisipan. Kaya hindi ako mapakali e, gusto ko lang ng peace of mind, thats why i had to ask you guys. Btw my car is a hondacity 2000 type z lxi. Paano po kaya ito?

Salamat po.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by seeyoulater View Post
    Mga Sir, Tanong lang po. Kasi tumatagas yung langis sa makina ko palagi dati, then i went to buy a replacement(japan) goma na nagse-seal ng oil, na nilalagay sa gitna ng cylinder head at yung lower part ng makina. Nung nilagay nung mekaniko, nilagyan niya ng silicon pandikit sa goma, and i didnt fail to notice na may bits ng silicon na nahulog sa loob, maliliit na silicon stuff na lumalangoy sa langis sa loob ng makina ko. Mga Sir makaka apekto ba ito sa takbo ng kotse ko? Or worse makakasira ba ito? Tinanong ko sa mekaniko okay lang naman daw iyon, pero kasi naisip ko, baka palusot niya lang na nagkamali siya, natatakot lang ako, like every other person, ayaw ko gumastos ng malaki dahil sa overhaul. Mejo nagsisi nga ako e, dapat ata hinayaan ko na lang tumagas langis ko kaysa sa magkaroon nanaman ng bagong pag-iisipan. Kaya hindi ako mapakali e, gusto ko lang ng peace of mind, thats why i had to ask you guys. Btw my car is a hondacity 2000 type z lxi. Paano po kaya ito?

Salamat po.

if you mean silicone rtv(room temperature vulcanizing)sealant, yes it is detrimental to your engine's emission control. it destroys your oxygen sensor. if you should use rtv sealant, make sure it is oxygen sensor safe. the small amount of remnants of the dried up rtv is not harmful if it does not clog the oil pickup tube screen leading to the oil pump or if it does not get ingested into the oil pump and get forced into tiny orifices of the oil gallery.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    if you mean silicone rtv(room temperature vulcanizing)sealant, yes it is detrimental to your engine's emission control. it destroys your oxygen sensor. if you should use rtv sealant, make sure it is oxygen sensor safe. the small amount of remnants of the dried up rtv is not harmful if it does not clog the oil pickup tube screen leading to the oil pump or if it does not get ingested into the oil pump and get forced into tiny orifices of the oil gallery.
    Oh. As you can see i am quite new to these stuff, kahit nga spelling mali ako e. Anyway sir. If you dont mind me asking, How do i check for the oxygen sensor sir? And how can i check if it is big enough to clog my the oil pickup tube screen? Iyong mga nakita ko, its like around half a pea size, mga tatlong ganon on different parts of the oil pool. Tingin mo makaka sira iyon sir? I really hope not. And like i asked before sir, how can i check? Thank you so much for this insight sir.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by seeyoulater View Post

Salamat po.

Moderator's Note:

Cutting your message into proper paragraphs and complete sentences will GREATLY increase the ease in reading your post.

If it is easier to read, more people will read it.

If it's "painful" to read, more people will ignore it.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear seeyoulater:

Your engine is lubricated by oil that has to go through some very small passages to get to the bearings.

If your mechanic allowed any kind of dirt into these passages, then it is quite likely some of those passages will be blocked and your engine will suffer from a bearing failure.

When your bearing fails it will involve take down, overhaul and machining of your engine - all very expensive propositions.

If it looks like a bad practice to you, the it most likely is BAD for your engine.

I don't know about you, but if I saw that happening to my engine - there will be hell to pay.

Unless he is just naturally dirty and a slob, or he is deliberately sabotaging your engine, there is NO EXCUSE for what he did.

Never have work done by him again and make sure other people don't either.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Don't you worry about it, even if the contaminant passes through the oil pickup tube screen, you still have another line of defense, it is called oil filter.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by reym View Post
    Don't you worry about it, even if the contaminant passes through the oil pickup tube screen, you still have another line of defense, it is called oil filter.
    Well that would be true as long as he (the mechanic) didn't drop any dirt down into your oil galleries (fine drill passages in the cylinder head and block for oil).

That's because he didn't drop the dirt into the oil pan where the oil pickup and strainer have a chance to stop it, or later after the oil pump the oil filter itself.

Note: here's the typical oil flow in an engine.

Oil pan > Oil pickup/strainer > Oil pump > Oil filter > Main gallery > Main bearings > Cylinder head > Rocker arms > valves > Oil pan.

He put it the dirt right into the engine's oil passages themselves - ensuring you will have some sort of lubrication problem.

Lucky you.

Because the cylinder head gasket carries oil from the main gallery - which supplies the main engine bearings and connecting rods - up to the cylinder head to lubricate the valves and rockers, there is a DISTINCT possibility that he contaminated that too.

Now, if you are a naturally optimistic person who believes in the goodness of mankind, then forget about it and HOPE for the BEST.

Perhaps all will be well in the end.

However, if like me you are a pessimist, and believe that many people are just too ignorant, conceited and self-serving to care about you and your problems then it's time to worry and push the panic button.

The choice is yours.

Sincerely,

Dusky Lim
    Last edited by duskylim; June 22nd, 2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: clarity