New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    your comments please for those who have first hand experience on this...

i read from another forum that such an air filter is only good whenever the engine bay is still cold, but performance derived from it drastically drops after an hour of driving, or when the engine bay becomes too hot...

my question is, when they say performance drops, do they mean it becomes worse than a stock filter?

please help me on this one... i plan to install one in my car...

thanks..

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, depends on the stock setup. Some carb intakes have an extension which lets the engine suck in air near the front and to the side of the engine bay, which would let it have cooler air. if thats the stock setup... its possible that the saucer type aftermarket filter would result in less HP when the car has been running for quite some time.

BTW, it also depends on the amount of air the engine's fan blows into the engine bay, but generally its still hot air.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, the saucer-type filter is a good upgrade compared to your stock airbox since it is less retrictive. though performance does drop after the engine becomes cold, it is still better than stock. i think for some cars, cold air is only access from the front (through the radiator) or underneath. for other car, like the sentra, cold air is also access through the front bumper and it passess the fender and into engine bay (just behind the battery).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Circle
    IMO, the saucer-type filter is a good upgrade compared to your stock airbox since it is less retrictive. though performance does drop after the engine becomes cold, it is still better than stock. i think for some cars, cold air is only access from the front (through the radiator) or underneath. for other car, like the sentra, cold air is also access through the front bumper and it passess the fender and into engine bay (just behind the battery).
    It might be noted that "saucer-type" aftermarket filters are usually used on cars with carb engines like the Lancer box-type and similiar.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ghosthunter: True! The lancer box-type, Sentra LEC/JX and other 1.3 engines are examples of carbed engines.

OT: Personnally, I think that the lancer box-type's stock airbox is not restrictive, thus an aftermarket filter (like a Simota) wont do much. What do you think?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    uhhmmm...correct me if im wrong, but i think you got the wrong idea of what saucer type air filter i'm referring to... i'm talking about the simota air filter, saucer type... yes, it appears like that of the old school air filter, but without the housing... if only i could post a picture here...

anyways, i am aware of the bad side of such type of an air filter whenever the engine bay is hot. hot air will be sucked in by the carb since there's no tube that will suck colder air elsewhere... what i'm worried about is how bad the performance drop would be. i'm not into racing stuff, i just want to get an extra power in accelerating (no matter how minimal it is)... but if the bad side of that would mean worse than the performance of a stock air filter, i will have to think it over, especially i drive around manila's traffic.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tikboy ... it really might be a big help if you can post the link of the picture of the filter you are asking about.

I think I know what you are refering to.

Like this ba?
    http://www.vision-time.com/onlinesto...ils.asp?id=232

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    anyway, there are two versions. One is the posted link above and the other is the direct replacement filter which goes into the stock O-type/ring-type filter housing over the carb.

As with any open element filter, when your car is not moving and engine is idling, the air filter will suck in hot air from the enginebay which does result in less power. It might actually be better to use the stock housing and use the replacement filter (by K&N or simota, etc) since the housing usually has an extension which lets the filter suck in cooler air.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Keep in mind that if you switch to a saucer-type filter that you will be disabling the stock carb heating system (e.g. in the Lancer 1300/1500 engines).

This system uses vacum to initially intake air from the exhaust manifold heat shied (via a flex hose) until the engine is warm enough and it then reverts to drawing air from the end of the intake pipe.

This system was originally designed to prevent the carb from icing up in cold climates. However it also functions to eliminate moisture which forms inside the carb (e.g. while it is parked overnight). The moisture can mix with the fuel (bad) or cause the carb to corrode (very bad).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK, saucers are for carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
saucer type air filter