New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    My normal daily drive in the morning from house to office take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes only. My car's engine may not have been reaching its normal operating temp by the time i get to the office. So for this short distance travel, can you advise what i can do in terms of driving/engine maintenance routine to at least avoid problems later on due to this 'running cold' condition that i may be regularly subjecting my car to. I'm not even sure if this would be a problem later on, but i'm a bit curious as to the effect.

I can commute from time to time, but there are instances that i need to have a car.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    easy on the pedal...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    20 minutes of idling is more than enough time for your engine to reach normal operating temperature. What more if it's driven (hence, higher rpm which means it will get to reach the normal operating temperature quicker) for that same length of time...

We're almost in the same boat. I drive 4kms one-way everyday. When I could still afford it, I would wait around 5 minutes after initial start until it reaches normal operating temperature, then drive it.

Nowadays, with the much higher cost of fuel, I wait for only around 1 minute and drive it slowly until it reaches normal operating temp, then I drive it normally.

My drive takes enough time for the exhaust to stop spewing out water, and that's all that matters to me. Any gurus out there who can tell us bad side effects of our daily driving routine?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Driving short distances in traffic is bad for the oil. It can cause premature engine wear if you don't religiously follow oil changes. For sensitive engines (i.e.: those with tight tolerances like the Altis, or those with pretty loose tolerances, like some old diesel engines), you might want to change oil sooner than 5000 kilometers if you always drive in traffic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    it really depends on how long is your travel in distance and time... A 20km distance can be travelled in 20 mins under 60kph speed but can take as long as 2 hours under heavy traffic..

most cars today optimizes the engine cooling system so that it can reach the normal operating temp as soon as possible.. in under 5 mins going outside the village your engine will already reach the normal operating temp...

once your temp gauge starts to rise its ok to run the vehicle..

some toyota vios models don't have temp gauges but rather temp light indicators... blue light indicator if the engine is cold.. once the blue light indicator disappears i start driving the vehicle..

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    this question leads to the old one... "is it necessary to warm up your engine before using it?"

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    For me, it is always better to warm-up your engine in gear drive out and slowly build up speed but do not race or do jack-rabbit starts.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    this question leads to the old one... "is it necessary to warm up your engine before using it?"
    Ano ba sabi sa manual?

On mine it says "Do not allow the engine to warm up at a standstill, but drive off as soon as possible, using moderate engine speeds." I've read somewhere that a part of the engine needs to have oil circulating immeduately, which can't be done while at standstill.

Of course there are places you can't do that, like in my old neighborhood in Baguio. Every car there - old and new - has to warm up at standstill, because the only way out is a narrow and very steep road.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    once the oil indicator is turned off. meaning fully circulated na ang oil. pwede na yan. warm it up as you cruise, the lower the RPM the better, mas mabuti yan kesa in idle kaya nga may oil pump eh bawiin mo na lang sa oil change say every 3,500 4,000 kms laking pasalamat na ng engine yun.
    Last edited by XTO; September 10th, 2008 at 08:05 AM.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    duplicate post... :sad:
    Last edited by woohoo; September 10th, 2008 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Running Cold - Advise on short distance driving