New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    hi guys -

just installed an aftermarket air filter.

while i was showing it to an officemate, he asked if i have already reset my ecu after putting the new air filter.

tanong ko bakit? kasi daw magiiba na daw yung higop ng hangin so kailangan mag-adjust yung timpla ng hangin at gasolina.

is he talking sense? if yes, how to i reset the ecu? is this advisable? what are the pros and cons of resetting the ecu? how do i reset the ecu?

thanks

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    You can reset the ECU by pulling out the ECU fuse sa fusebox. Also, you can try disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery for about 15 minutes, para ubos din yung residual electricity.

Old school thinking ata yung pag-reset ng ECU after installation ng new mods. AFAIK, nagrere-learn naman ang ECU kasi, kaya resetting it may not be necessary. Pero, am not a real expert kasi so maybe the others can pipe in.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by wewoy_romero View Post
    hi guys -

just installed an aftermarket air filter.

while i was showing it to an officemate, he asked if i have already reset my ecu after putting the new air filter.

tanong ko bakit? kasi daw magiiba na daw yung higop ng hangin so kailangan mag-adjust yung timpla ng hangin at gasolina.

is he talking sense? if yes, how to i reset the ecu? is this advisable? what are the pros and cons of resetting the ecu? how do i reset the ecu?

thanks

For a car with an EFI engine, the ECU constantly adjusts the air/fuel ratio. Although if you don't reset the ECU, the ECU will eventually adjust to the new air-filter, resetting it would force it to make the adjustments earlier than later.

Resetting the ECU is as simple as removing the battery terminal(s) for a few minutes (some might actually require longer). Just take note if you need to punch in the security code for your car radio, etc.

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    resetting will have no effect whatsoever, ecu is only measuring the air thru the sensor output (MAF for mass density system and MAP sensor for speed density system) as well as the reading from the intake air temp sensor if so equipped.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i dont see why u have to reset the ECU.

The airflow sensor will detect higher airflow and adjust fuel injection automatically.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Many ECUs are adaptive, they learn over time.

Yes, the ECU will base fueling on the amount of air going through the filter, but it also collects information about how the engine is running through various knock sensors, O2 sensors, temperature sensors, etcetera.

So while it does adjust to the increased air flow, it limits those adjustments based on previous data.

It takes a few hundred kilometers for adjustments to take place after installing a new mod. By resetting the ECU, you're forcing the car to learn everything from scratch instead of mixing data regarding your previous and current set-ups.

You don't really need to do it, but it may make learning faster, and it certainly won't hurt.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    wow! thanks mga sirs.

i'll just leave it be. don't want to punch in my preset radio stations ulit.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    btw, am i correct in assuming my civic 98 vti's ecu is one of those "learning" types?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    when i replaced my stock paper filter with a drop in filter by hks, my rpm went up to 1,500rpm. the mechanic told me that the ecu is still adjusting. so i guess it does makes sense to reset the ecu after installing aftermarket air filters.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    no need to type in the new codes sa radio if you reset using the ecu fuse in the fusebox under the hood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
resetting ecu after installing aftermarket air filters