New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i am currenly having problems with the removal of high torque bolts such as camshaft gear, clutch/flywheel, and crankshaft pulley. madali sana kung hindi moving yung object, pero umiikot kasi kaya mahirap.

any tips on how to do this? i do not have impact tools. all i have are manual tools like sockets, breaker bar, etc...

i've seen those who do it by cranking the engine (starting) momentarily, but i don't want to risk things using this method.

guidance would be very much appreciated.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

i am currenly having problems with the removal of high torque bolts such as camshaft gear, clutch/flywheel, and crankshaft pulley. madali sana kung hindi moving yung object, pero umiikot kasi kaya mahirap.

any tips on how to do this? i do not have impact tools. all i have are manual tools like sockets, breaker bar, etc...

i've seen those who do it by cranking the engine (starting) momentarily, but i don't want to risk things using this method.

guidance would be very much appreciated.
    eto po procedure..

Crankshaft pulley (eto yung kinakabitan ng mga belts)- find the exact size of the bolt.. using a socket wrench, have it locked against something like the suspension.. hold it firmly and make sure it will not snap easily.. with a help of a friend (preferrably one who knows how to start a car) ask him/her to crank the engine momentarily (in tagalog PITIK lang)... surely your crankshaft bolt will loose (sometimes can be done with just one click) and there you go...

Camshaft gear (eto yung kinakabitan ng timing belt)- unfortunately there is a tool needed to remove the camshaft gear.. it looks like the wrench you use on GRINDERS when you will replace the grinding disc..

Flywheel (eto yun kinakabitan ng clutch)- better if you have AIR WRENCH if you dont, you need to lock the flywheel in place.. sometimes it has holes where you can insert a bolt to lock the flywheel and once locked you can turn the bolts.. the bolt heads are thin so make sure once you turn you will not snap..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Lodge soft material, rag or piece of wood between gears, or between the ring gear and flywheel housing to prevent the engine from turning over.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Turning the engine while in the process of dissembly is very dangerous, especially when the timing chain or belt is already removed, the piston might hit the valve and cause substantial damage. Follow Dieseldudes' advise in removing the camshaft gear and crankshaft pulley.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    sir gamit po kayo ng extension para matangal po... tnx

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Its very important for you to know whether your engine is clockwise or counterclockwise turning. Always use six point sockets unless flower ang bolt.
    Unahin mo ang crankshaft and other gears before flywheel kasi mas madali i lock ang flywheel. And most important is to remember the timing marks.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Its very important for you to know whether your engine is clockwise or counterclockwise turning. Always use six point sockets unless flower ang bolt.
    Unahin mo ang crankshaft and other gears before flywheel kasi mas madali i lock ang flywheel. And most important is to remember the timing marks.
    pano ma-lock ang flywheel kung ala na cam/crank gear?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    pano ma-lock ang flywheel kung ala na cam/crank gear?
    Balik mo bolt ng starter or plate ng bell housing then mag tukod ka sa mga ngipin or dowel na nasa flywheel.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    i got it using the starter method. i had a 19mm 1/2" drive socket on the bolt + a 15" breaker bar against the crossmember. 1 second click but not more than 2. after a loud tok sound, the engine begins turning. i removed the hi-tension wires and plugs so that the engine will not compress air, thus helping in turning

removal of high torque bolts for disassembly