New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    car is lancer '95. Car frequently rises in temperature. I will always top off the the radiator in the morning. But when i check the reservoir when temperature becomes hot, it is full and even overflowing. Water in the reservoir is bubbling hot which I think came from the radiator. It seems that hot water from radiator overflows to the reservoir when engine is hot and never returns back. I wanted to know if this is only due to bad radiator cap (cheaper to replace), or a blown head gasket (Hope not!)

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by harimon21 View Post
    car is lancer '95. Car frequently rises in temperature. I will always top off the the radiator in the morning. But when i check the reservoir when temperature becomes hot, it is full and even overflowing. Water in the reservoir is bubbling hot which I think came from the radiator. It seems that hot water from radiator overflows to the reservoir when engine is hot and never returns back. I wanted to know if this is only due to bad radiator cap (cheaper to replace), or a blown head gasket (Hope not!)

your radiator cap has two valves, the pressure relief valve and the vacuum valve. the pressure relief valve is not sealing under pressure and is not sealing under vacuum. the antifreeze will not return to the radiator when the engine cools down. replace your radiator cap with the same type, size and pressure rating

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    thanks jick.cejoco. i will replace the cap today and see how it goes

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Check also your radiator for clogged . Removed the radiator cap and revved the engine see if the water circulate .

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i replaced the cap today. di na mainit ang coolant sa reservoir o nag-ooverfill gaya dati. But i have an additional observation though. I know that water is a by-product of combustion and condensation in tailpipe is normally present on start-ups and disappears when the pipe is hot. In this car however i observed that there seems to be excessive water on start-up in addition to steam out of the pipe. And the water condensation does not seem to vanish as the car gets warm but merely diminishes even after a long travel. What do you think guys?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    i used to have a lancer similar to yours, the common sickness is either water pump or weak/dead aux fan. try checking it out first.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    fan is working and blows air toward the engine. although i do not know if it is weak. How can I check if the pump is faulty?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by harimon21 View Post
    fan is working and blows air toward the engine. although i do not know if it is weak. How can I check if the pump is faulty?

Usually its gonna leak if the oumo is stuck up.

About the fan; it can be deceiving. Yung akin dati kala ko malakas mahina na din pala. (Clutch Fan)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    does your car still have the thermostat? i assume di naman nag kakaroon ng oil ang water mo you might check din kung okay pa yung thermostat..

radiator loses water but reservoir hot and overfilled