New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Question po everyone, I understand importante malaman ang mileage ng cars (lalo na kung bibili ng second hand) pero gusto ko po sana itanong ang mga sumusunod:

1. Ilang kms po ba ang acceptable mileage ng car para masabi na ayos pa ang engine cya?

2. Ano pong mangyayari kung sobrang taas na ng mileage nya?

3. Enough po ba na well-maintained ung car - such as change-oil and regular tune up para ma-off set ung fact na mataas na ang mileage nya?

4. Any more tips para sa engine and mileage? meron po bang rules dito?

thanks!!!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Question po everyone, I understand importante malaman ang mileage ng cars (lalo na kung bibili ng second hand) pero gusto ko po sana itanong ang mga sumusunod:

1. Ilang kms po ba ang acceptable mileage ng car para masabi na ayos pa ang engine cya?
    - Depends on the car's age. If I am not mistaken 10,000 km per year ang standard. Warranty wise ito ang tinitignan ng casa.

2. Ano pong mangyayari kung sobrang taas na ng mileage nya?
    - As long as it doesn't look laspag and it still looks fresh inside and out and it has service records then it should be fine. Kung hindi maintenained and alaga ang high mileaged car makikita mo naman sa pagtingin pa lang sa una.

3. Enough po ba na well-maintained ung car - such as change-oil and regular tune up para ma-off set ung fact na mataas na ang mileage nya?
    - For me, yes. High mileage doesn't mean it is more prone to breakdowns. Usually based from my experience, the high mileaged car is much more reliable than a low mileaged car.

4. Any more tips para sa engine and mileage? meron po bang rules dito?
    10,000 per year sa pagkakaalam ko. Just check for service record and the history of the car. My bayaws car is only 26,000 km but natirik na kami most of the time. My car is 80,600++, never been tirik because when I acquired the car I checked for the service record of the owner, called the casa and I am maintaining it very well. Swerte ko lang din siguro.
    thanks!!!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    There are so many factors that it's almost impossible to say.

Typically, you want an engine that:

has never been started in a cold environment (cold startups cause most of the wear and tear on the engine)

has never been driven less than 50 kilometers a trip (frequent short trips are bad, as cold running wears down an engine... and more short trips equals more cold starting)

has never been in traffic (heat soak is bad for the engine)

has never been left to idle for long periods

and has had synthetic oil every change since the break-in

In other words... it's impossible to find a perfect engine.

Whatever the mileage of the engine, you have to check the running condition, which means it should idle well, rev freely, not eat oil, not have high emissions, etcetera.

I've seen lots of engines that have needed an overhaul between 60,000 -100,000 kms, but others have kept on going. Our Crosswind is at 120k, and is perfectly fine... missed a few oil changes, but at least we've changed regularly. Our Highlander is at 140k and it had to have headwork, because oil changes were few and far between.

If you're really good to your engine, it could probably hit 400,000 kms before needing an overhaul... but with our local traffic, it's doubtful. I'd say 200,000 kms would be more realistic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    This is tricky territory.

High milage is not much of a concern as long as the engine has been properly maintained and used.

If it was poperly maintained and used, more often than not, all the parts that will need replacing have already been replaced.

niky and hyperthread bring up a lot of valid points in their discussions.

Like I said in another thread, buying a used vehicle (high milage or not) is pretty much a crapshoot unless you know the owner and know that he/she REALLY took care of it and is familiar with the history of the vehicle in question.

Hope this helps

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I once drove a L200 in the province with nearly 200,000kms... oil changed regularly and it was driven on the highways lot; it felt and drove much better then a similar age and type L200 i drove in Manila with less than 100,000kms.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    our 2nd owned '96 corolla GLi ae101 already has 212,+++ kms on it, pero it was never overhauled yet, timing belt replaced thrice already, (was replaced at 60,000kms, 135,000kms and 202,000kms.). still using the original alternator and a/c compressor. walang usok that signifies worn out seals, and still runs very well. we knew the previous owner who regularly brought it to as far as pagudpud up north, and camarines norte down south. and it was his daily ride since it was new.he religiously maintained the engine with regular oil and filter changes, and followed the schedule for other parts as well. don't know how many times he replaced his tires though

sir high mileage doesn't necessarily mean that the car is in bad shape. what matters is how well it was maintained and driven.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chon961 View Post

sir high mileage doesn't necessarily mean that the car is in bad shape. what matters is how well it was maintained and driven.
    thanks po! just text my friend now (the first owner) kung napalitan na ung timing belt ng oto, pero sabe nya, timing chain daw po ung sa sentra ko, ano po ang difference? thanks!!!

8. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    ^ Chon961, what you said there is very true. How well an engine was cared for by its owner is more important than mileage.

Plus the fact that a lot of pre-owned vehicles do not show the 'real' mileage of the car...its quite risky if you do no know the owner.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by macychic View Post
    thanks po! just text my friend now (the first owner) kung napalitan na ung timing belt ng oto, pero sabe nya, timing chain daw po ung sa sentra ko, ano po ang difference? thanks!!!
    naka timing chain nga ang sentra bro hindi masyadong kailangan ng maintenance nito compared to the rubber timing belt ng mga toyota, honda, mitsu at iba pa na kailangang palitan around 80,000-100,000 kms. anong model ng sentra? as far as i know yung ECCS/LEC body (B13) at yung series 3 (B14) gumagamit ng timing chain.

ang alam ko hindi naman kailangang palitan ang timing chain, unless sobrang ingay na nito, pero hindi ako masyado sure bro, ha. let's wait for the replies ng ibang mga tsikoteers

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by DonT View Post
    ^ Chon961, what you said there is very true. How well an engine was cared for by its owner is more important than mileage.

Plus the fact that a lot of pre-owned vehicles do not show the 'real' mileage of the car...its quite risky if you do no know the owner.
    yup bro, that's one of the most common problems concerning a car's mileage. that's why "low mileage" cars that are for sale don't really catch my attention, but if i know the owner, and i'm really sure that the car has its real mileage on the odometer, then that car deserves a second look

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Question re: Mileage and Engine