New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Haha, jick its refreshing to hear that ppl here actually know why u must hone a cylinder.
    Both the cylinder wall and the rings will wear to equilibrium quite fast and glaze themselves with a near perfect matching profile.
    Without this, the natural shape of the ring, which is only perfectly round at a very particular compressed size, could be ovular compared to the bore. This is even more a problem with little motorcycle pistons, where the ring is small enough that simply having a bore which is a nanometer out of size could lead to a ring that never ever seats, id the bore wasnt honed propperly. This sole missunderstanding by mechanic monkeys here, is the reason there is so much blue smoke behind motors on every street in the country.
    The environmental authorities (both of them, the beareu and the department) were too busy when i compiled a photo albulm of about 60 motorcycle shops on the island of cebu who had there cylinder hones wrapped in 2000 grit silicone carbide.
    I suspect they juat dont care because its too big a priblem to resolve, much easier to just ban mining, the coubtries biggest provider of GDP.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DiliKoAmericano View Post
    Haha, jick its refreshing to hear that ppl here actually know why u must hone a cylinder.
    Both the cylinder wall and the rings will wear to equilibrium quite fast and glaze themselves with a near perfect matching profile.
    Without this, the natural shape of the ring, which is only perfectly round at a very particular compressed size, could be ovular compared to the bore. This is even more a problem with little motorcycle pistons, where the ring is small enough that simply having a bore which is a nanometer out of size could lead to a ring that never ever seats, id the bore wasnt honed propperly. This sole missunderstanding by mechanic monkeys here, is the reason there is so much blue smoke behind motors on every street in the country.
    The environmental authorities (both of them, the beareu and the department) were too busy when i compiled a photo albulm of about 60 motorcycle shops on the island of cebu who had there cylinder hones wrapped in 2000 grit silicone carbide.
    I suspect they juat dont care because its too big a priblem to resolve, much easier to just ban mining, the coubtries biggest provider of GDP.

Thank you. Some of us were not just born yesterday. Please don't think everybody in the country are that ignorant. Matter of fact, some of us may have more knowledge, training and experience than you think.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Just a follow-up to this honing tool. If you replaced your piston rings, do you need to hone the cylinder liners?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    yes you should. if you dont, ur practically wasting your time and money. Even just a hand hone on the drill will help a huge amount.

Jick, i apologise, but i just haven't come across any basic intellect yet, when searching for a decent mechanic.
    Even at major Honda dealer, they are just following a written procedure, and not one of them has any actual physics or engineering abilities.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2015
    and the reason that the hone must have a perfect 45 degree cross hatch, is that 45 degrees is the decided standard so that all honing machines worldwide will leave a bore that doesn't spin the rings around during break in period. If we had more than 45 degrees, and one direction of the stroke of the hone had taken off more material than the other, then the friction of the rings on the walls, on the way down may be more than on the way up leading to the rings spinning and this would result in rings that never seat.
    Any less than 45 and you would get chattering of the stones and an imperfect shape bore.
    Thats about the basics of it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345